I can't get hot water in my shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have hot water everywhere else but it won't work in the shower. When I run the shower the boiler doesn't even come on. It used to work fine, then worked intermittently but now not at all. I also used to be able to get hot water by keeping the toilet flushed but that doesn't work any more either.

Someone said they thought the pipes might be blocked but I don't know.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Sponsored Links
So, you have a combi boiler, and every hot tap in the house works OK but not the shower?

Has the problem been getting worse and worse? Has anything else changed as well as the hot shower not working (eg other plumbing work done)?

So, you have a combi boiler, and every hot tap in the house works OK but not the shower?

Has the problem been getting worse and worse? Has anything else changed as well as the hot shower not working (eg other plumbing work done)?

No nothing else has changed, everything else works fine. theres been no plumming work done

So what happens when you turn on the shower fully on and hot?

What shower is it?

Sponsored Links
I guess the boiler doesn't kick in, faulty shower mixer valve maybe?

Have you tried to run the hot tap to get hot water when running the shower?

if thermostatic then the cartridge could have gone. or the filter on the hot supply might need cleaning causing flow restriction and not activating the boiler. stuck check valve. could be a few probs. but the basic checks e.g filter should be done first.

Was this problem ever resolved, as my son is having same problem in the house he bought recently. Shower only runs cold, but water to all other taps, including other shower, is OK.
His shower is a Mira mini duo, I suspect the cartridge requires replacing, but any other thoughts would be welcome

Probably a silly question but its definently a tap based shower rather than an electric shower withi its own thermostat?

Not asked him to clean filters but will pass on message. I have not had alook at his shower fitting ( Mira miniduo ), where are the filters and how easy are they to get to ?
Yes tap based definately not electric, has been working fine for last 3 months and then cold one morning.
Cheers

Is it a exposed or built in valve ?
They are both different locations for the filters.

I am also having this problem at the moment... To get heat out of the shower I have to turn the pressure right down and have the temp control on 60oC.

Do you think its the cartridge and is this something I could easily change myself.?

Thanks for any help

It is an exposed valve. Strange thing is, his wife had shower first and it worked OK. He had shower 5 minutes later and it only ran cold. Do you think this is a thermostatic problem within the cartridge ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back