I cut a water pipe in the loft , to find out it was gas!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a running water sound all through the house to I tried to devise the house in two and prove which part of the house was leaking.

So water off, sound stopped. I went into the small triangular loft round the top of out bungalow with a stop valve and a pipe cutter. I crawled in commando style, pipe cutter on, twist.......HISSSSSSSSS... THERE IS GAS POURING OUT!

I fumbled in my pockets whilst trying to keep a thumb over the gas pipe! Found the compression fitting stop valve and hurriedly put it on. Then I had to reverse out of the gas cloud about 10m commando style, Down the stairs shut the gas off and then leave the house to vent for about 2 hours!

Sponsored Links
I consulted a qualified gass fitter and replaced the stop valve with a gas compression fitting.

It didn't help that it was a 15mm unmarked copper pipe.

It didn't help that you chopped a pipe without having any idea what was in it. :LOL:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back