I forgot mist coat and started to cut in!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I’m a stupid man under a bit of time pressure and couldn’t quite put my finger on it when cutting in contract matt until I was about half way round the room.

I then remembered I had forgotten to mist coat. It had been quite a stressful day anyway, and an hour before I had found a gas leak, and as I hate making mistakes, and the house is now safe from explosion, I’m going for a lay down.

Now, the good lady, who likes to rush me along, says it will be fine because cutting in is thicker. She’s said that twice and it made me squint and tilt my head both times.

so what should I do in the gaps I have to do the diy? I do have to get at least a radiator size bit of wall finished by bedtime tomorrow.

will the paint fall off? Will it all be fine?

a Google search has offered me i) a forum thread where a lady is being told to remove paint fr Lon her walls with a scourer ii) a YouTube video of a man cutting in with straight paint onto bare plaster 14,000 views 1 comment iii) a massive rant that says contract matt is for imbeciles.

please send help.

Sponsored Links
Do a mist coat in the morning on the rest, then do a full coat in the afternoon.

If it comes off, just scrap off and do again. If not, no worries. In the last room I did, I must have not diluted the paint enough for some parts, and it peeled in one area. As I was priming some mdf anyway, and just used that on the plasterboard and painted over. Perfectly good finish, and not fallen off yet.

Sponsored Links
It is normally rolling the previous paint that pulls the paint off the walls. Cutting in should be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back