I got a bang in my airing cupboard ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, i just had my CH system "power flushed", so i know there is no sludge anywhere and there is no air in the system anywhere, the pump is nearly new and runs as sweet as a nut.

I have the heating on all through the day and everything is nice and quiet, but sitting in my lounge watching TV in the evening at very irregular intervals i can hear an almighty bang upstairs which must be coming from the airing cupboard and probably the Pump, but why and what is causing it, i could perhaps understand it if it was at the same time every day, then i could be up there watching it when it bangs, if i knew when it was going to happen.

has anybody got any suggestions please, otherwise if it wasnt for these bangs every night my system would be perfect.

tim

Sponsored Links
cheers buddy, it must be very difficult trying to solve my problems from a distance ......

the pump is only about 6 months old and the 3 way valve is only about 3 months old, i suppose to be honest it has been doing this banging for a long time, i simply thought/hoped the Power Flush would cure ALL my problems. LOL

tim

When I had that it was the safety valve in the overflow to the central heating header tank (located in the loft over the airing cupboard) opening to release the access pressure. In my case the pump was still working but it was not working sufficiently well to get the water efficiently round the system.

Sponsored Links
Sorry Jim, it's bugging me. When things are changed and your system was working ok before, then the first things I would look at are the changes. Pump - what number is it set at and how many floors have you in your home? Three way valve -obviously hot water and CH working in correct order - I'd double check wiring. If all Ok :confused: at the moment.

Forgot to ask. Is the programmer set for hot water to come throughout the evening as well as the heating?

hi all, i just had my CH system "power flushed", so i know there is no sludge anywhere and there is no air in the system anywhere,

That is assuming the powerflush was done correclty, which often enough is not the case.

How often does the bang happen?
What made you decide to have a powerflush done?

Try turning your room thermostat down after the heating's been on for a while & see if it bangs then ? - some motorised valves can make a noise when closing.

I`m right with you on that ;) sounds like the rubber ball in the valve banging - maybe the pump is on no. 3 and it was on no. 1 before :idea:

bloomin heck lads, i didnt realise there were so many things it could be, i can see i shall have to print this thread out, take the print out upstairs and go through it all. LOL

seriously:-

I had the power flush done because a few of the radiators werent working very well, this seems to be ok now.

I dont know what speed setting the pump is on, i just had a look, it was on 3, i have now put it on 2 .

As a bonus clue, moving the speed switch, i noticed that a slight movement of the pump and any of the surrounding pipework results in a noise going up into the loft.!, this could be the "noise" !, result perhaps.

the bang happens very intermittently, this afternoon, it banged when the boiler came on, i had earlier switched it to be on all the time, switching on only when the thermostats asking it to.

Yeah i usually have both the heating and water on at the same time.

I hadnt thought it could be the 3 way valve or the tank in the loft !!!.

goodness it could be anything ......

tim

Could possibly be the 3 port valve. If the valve's closing you may be getting a 'water bounce'. Does the system have a bypass valve?. Has it been closed.
Test the 3 port valve by putting the heating off, then the hot water to see if there is any noise.
if the bypass valve is closed, open it a couple of turns, then test the 3 port valve again.
Turn pump speed to 2.

hi chaps, you are far ahead of me, i have managed to put the pump speed to 2 (out of 3), thanks.

but as for a BYPASS VALVE, have i got one ?, dammed if i know, i wouldnt know what one of those look like, if you give me a bit of time i will take a picture of the problem area, namely the pump and 3 way valve all in the same picture.

thanks.

tim

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back