I got a right cracker here!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A Christmas Cracker actually!

For our schools' carol concert, I've been asked to make a STAR with six points out of a 4 X 4 sheet of ply, then install half a dozen lights, switched individually, so that they can be switched on as the different groups of characters arrive at t'inn.

Then, have it "hover" above the choir and come on as required!

Worked out that downlighters will probably be the best idea for the lights, first prob, how on earth do I work out 60degrees for each point of the star AND get the points of the star the same length..... I 'ATE maffs! :rolleyes:

Still, I know a man, erm, woman who can (do maths)! Next, ply or mdf, and which netball post do I pinch to use??

Sponsored Links
Get a big pair of compasses, the sort teacher used to use on the blackboard. Failing that, a trammel with a pencil and a spike on a batten.

Draw the two diagonals of the 4' x 4' sheet of ply and mark the centre where the two diagonals cross.

Set the compasses or trammel to a radius as near 2' as you can (or such a radius that the circle will not quite run off the edges of the sheet). Draw a circle centred on that crossing point. Having done that, keep the compasses (or trammel) at the same distance. Mark a point anywhere on the circle. Then, using the compasses (or trammel) step round the circle from that point to the next, it should take you exactly six steps to get back exactly to where you started. That gives you the positions of the points of the star. In what follows, I'll refer to those points as 'Points'.

Now you have to mark the roots of the arms of the star. There are several ways to do that.

Here's one: set the compasses (or trammel) to half the radius you used before and draw a new circle, centred on the same point as the first one. Don't alter the setting of the compasses (or trammel), you'll need that radius again in a minute. Using a straight-edge, draw a line joining one Point of the star to its diametric opposite. Repeat for the other four Points. Mark the points where these lines cross the inner circle. Choose two of these points that are next to each other. Using the compasses (or trammel), draw an arc centred on one of these, passing through the other. Repeat for the second point, ensuring that the two arcs extend so as to cross each other. Using a straight-edge, join these two intersections and mark the point where this line crosses the inner circle. Now, using the compasses (or trammel), step round this circle six times. That should give you the position of the six roots. Then, with the straight-edge, just join each Point to its adjacent roots and you've got your star.

Have I confused you? If not, tell me and I'll try again! :)

first you need to draw a hexagon use a compass or make one from a piece of string a pencil and a nail.

Draw a circle using your compass then take the pin and place it anywhere on the circumference of the circle and scribe an arc to cut the circumference, move the compass to the point where the arc cuts the circle and draw another arc to cut the circle move on to this point and repeat, do tis until you have 6 arcs bisecting the circle join up thes points and you should have a hexagon. then take your compass and start at one of the corners of the hexagon draw an arc outside the circle then move on to the next one and do the same. draw a line from each of the two corners of the hexagon to the point where they cross to form a triangle . repeat for all corners of the hexagon until you form a star.
hope thats clearer than it sounds

bruised you beat me by 1 minute even though I did it slightly differently to you. :D

Sponsored Links
Geometry aside, I do wonder if this will have the desired effect. At the end, all the audience will see are six points of light in a ring-shape, they won't see a star shape.

Perhaps something like this, fixed to the plywood around the edge of a star-shape would produce a more desirable effect. This way you would have a definite star-shape, rather than six points of light.

One thing to note, the one I show here (as is the one available at Argos for half the price) is multi-colour, but I am sure you would be able to get white ones.

What did I tell you!

Good luck with it, I recall the caretaker at my primary school always took great pride in doing the sets and lighting for the Christmas play. Good old Mr Mokes!

I've seen the rope light in the "Factory Shop" not sure if they are base all over the UK and you can buy the correct length you want which you have to make the connection yourself with the kit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back