I had a really bad DIY disaster.

Opened my big mouth twenty odd years ago and told the wife that studwork walls were moveable, she still hasn't forgotten. :(

Sponsored Links
When I was younger I decided to be nice to my sister and made her bed for her. I pulled out the bed to tuck the quilt down the back and when I did I knocked the top of the plug off for her light which was plugged in behind her headboard. She used to put her hand underneath the headboard to turn the light on. Unfortunately when she did this all of the wires were exposed and I got wrong off my mam when she screamed out with the shock.

Later in life I decided to install a dimmer switch in my bedroom whilst parents were on holiday. I was in my 20's. I knew that I had to take the fuse out of the main box for the upstairs lights cos its an old box and you cant just flip a switch (well you can but this turned everything off and the house alarms went off). I tried to pull the fuse out and it wouldn't come out easily so I decided to lever it out with a screwdriver. I got paid back for my sisters electric shock. I had to sit on the stairs for 20 minutes until I stopped feeling sick. I did put my dimmer switch in. I just flipped the switch and let the house alarms go off.

i got hold of a tub of vaseline when i was 3. they had to board over the wall i finger painted with it, as it's impossible to paper or paint over it, allegedly. ho hum.

Allegedly I did a similar thing with a pot of zinc and castor oil cream and a brand new cream carpet...... :eek:

Sponsored Links
studips wrote:
i got hold of a tub of vaseline when i was 3. they had to board over the wall i finger painted with it, as it's impossible to paper or paint over it, allegedly. ho hum.

Allegedly I did a similar thing with a pot of zinc and castor oil cream and a brand new cream carpet...... icon_surprised.gif

My then 2-3yr old daughter decided to be a leopard and covered herself (naked) with black spots using a permanent marker....then she tried to remove them with vaseline - which did work a little...just enough to make sure that my 2 week old beige stair carpet was stained forever.....

Tried to remove it by sprinkling the carpet with talcum powder - didn't work - but did find out vacuuming talcum powder with a metal tubed vacuum creates enough static electricity to produce vicious shocks...

Would have been more upset about the carpet - but she'd already made a couple of bald patches in it by chewing on the treads.

Should have made a cage for her after that ...now 10 she has just made a hole in the arm of my leather sofa with the blade on a cockscrew - she didn't think it was sharp :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back