DIY disasters and what you think would have helped prevent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Morning Folks

Can you be kind enough (or brave enough) to state your DIY disasters and what help or other tools could you have used in order to prevent them in future?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Buying a 500 year old cottage as a DIY renovation and living in it at the same time.

What would help ? A time machine to go back in time to advise the previous owner how to repair things properly. But then the price would have been higher and I probably couldn't have afforded it.

Never had a disaster 'cos if I don't know what I'm doing I ask on this forum :D

Sponsored Links
1st thing, know your limitations.

Use the proper tools/materials for the job.

Proper planning.

The time you estimate for the job double it.

I've had plenty of head scratching moments over the years but fortunately nothing i could class as a disaster....so far :LOL:

When you can see the side cutters on the bench, don't continue trying to cut the cable tie with your Stanley knife. Especially, towards the hand you are holding the work with.
Knife slipped, straight down into the tip of the ring finger. And kept going, halfway down the nail.
T'was a bit sore afterwards......

I was once told by a very highly respected Architect that if and when he made a mistake, he made a "Feature" of it?

This Guy actually won awards for his designs and the Buildings he designed?

Made me think?

Ken

Hi Folks

Many thanks for your replies.

The reason why I asked the above question is because I'm doing a project on latest DIY tools/gadgets and how life can be made more easier for people who DIY every now and again, or when they have to.

Can you think of any advancements in the DIY field which would make life for the 'not very good' DIYer more easier?

Thank You.

Hi Folks

Many thanks for your replies.

The reason why I asked the above question is because I'm doing a project on latest DIY tools/gadgets and how life can be made more easier for people who DIY every now and again, or when they have to.

Can you think of any advancements in the DIY field which would make life for the 'not very good' DIYer more easier?

Thank You.

A laser cutter (for awkward cuts i.e. skirting inside corners) as, no matter how carefully I use jigsaws, handsaws, knives, and sandpaper, I can never get the contour quite how I would like.
I have the eye of a perfectionist, but not the skills to back it up :mrgreen:

I'm probably showing my age, but my first set of shelves went up with a manual hand drill (non-electric), using some special filler stuff for the screws (no rawl plugs), and a spirit level.

So what has changed 30 years later?

Now I'd make the holes in 1/10th the time with my combi, and wouldn't have to wait overnight for the whole thing to set, however getting things in the right place and planning is what takes most time for the casual DIYer. The most valuable thing for any job is easy access to information that tells you what to do. My combi won't help much if I hit an electric cable, or a pipe, or if i don't have the right fixing for whatever it is that I'm drilling (suppose I didn't know it was dot-and-dab and not hardwall).

Perhaps an app could make some of this stuff easier, like with a series of questions that it asks you before attempting a task? Ways to identify the substrate you're drilling into, checklist before starting jobs. Based on age of house, are you likely to be going into pre-stressed concrete to put up those curtains or catnic? Finding ways of ensuring for a given job description that you have as many of the bits you need before you start, and a series of things that can go wrong, and what to do about them.

The internet has a lot of this, but it's spread out over numerous youtube videos and on forums like this. It's not very easy to digest.

What would make DIY easier?

A magic lamp with a genie to grant your every wish of course!

What a pleasure to see a nice young lady in T-shirt & shorts bending and stretching as she expertly plastered your walls for you. :whistle:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back