I have a blank canvas! Recommended systems, thoughts please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all!

Excuse the long post. I want to employ a good heating engineer, just wanted to research first....

Scenario-
1960s detached bungalow, I'm having a rear extension and at the same time replacing the entire roof incl large dormers. Will be approx 200sqm of floor space.

Two shower rooms, one bath-room.
Two adults, one baby (not here yet!)
Possible parents/in laws to live-in in time...(gulp)

Whilst the roof is off, it may be possible to remove existing wall
Plates and upgrade any existing wall insulation. New bifold doors and also Windows will be of triple glazing I hope.

No gas, just oil.
I don't know the dynamic flow of the mains yet, neighbours tell me out pressure isn't great....will investigate (appreciate this unknown will limit advice)

I would like in the extension (30msq) and kitchen (22msq) UFH (ideally wet)

A snug lounge of approx 12sqm will have a woodburner for asthetics and cosy-ness.

Current setup was vented conventional system, very dated and old components, so the entire CH is being ripped out. The boiler (which works fine although doubt the efficiency is up to standards!) must be well
Over 20yrs old and worn and rusty inside the cover. It's housed in the garage.

Because of the new layout, I won't have any loft space bar the eave storage along one length of the bungalow. It's possible I will have a pitched roof loft above the garage (connected to property) but planning may object this. If we get this roof, then here is an option for any tanks etc but these won't be of any positive height above the upstairs bathrooms (maybe equal to).

I'm aiming for the most efficient solution, budget is healthy for this element.

My options (that I see) ATM, (would love to hear others ideas though)....

1) replace boiler with like for like. Look at using coffin tanks (possible fit in the ridge space at very top of loft conversion?). Could find space for an airing cupboard(cylinder).May still have inadequate pressure to serve upstairs two bathrooms. Pumps?

2) replace with combi/UV pressurised system. No worries with tanks.

3) AS/GSHP, can't seem to get enough evidence of people with these setups as to whether it's likely to cope with all demands. Maybe with a combi back up?

4) combinations of the above? Would be interested in knowing if with a Heat Pump I could feed it from a PV source primarily, then switch to grid if unavailable? Rear garden faces Due South.

I really like the idea of renewable energy/ more bang for your buck with a HP. What with utility bills always on the up. I'd love to be able to have a solar set up that stores electricity for all day use/or get paid via a feed in tarrif.

Again, sorry for the long post. As you can probably tell, I'm a real Layman with this. and I am happy to pay for the correct engineer, I just worry that I'm going to get a plumber who just wants the easiest solution for himself, rather than my home.

I know I will need to establish the mains dynamic flow too, which may restrict people's advice for now.

Many thanks in advice guys.

Deano

Sponsored Links
Hi guys, just wondered if anyone had any ideas RE my instal? Particularly interested in combining a heat pump with solar?

I wouldn't put tanks in especially coffin tanks I'd go for unveiled tank with two coils bottom for
solar or go for a heat store grant oil boiler get OFTEC reg engineer so you have comeback with
OFTEC if problems

Most of our Heatpumps installations are where there is no natural gas. We've just completed one this week where we replaced a solid fuel system with a complete HP System. You can use Solar PV with a heatpump unit, but it would be to primarily heat the hot water via an Immersun unit.
One thing to bear in mind with HP installs the cylinder reheat time can be quite long so high hot water usage will result in the immersion taking a hit. We've also got a twin Heatpump install coming up once all planning permission in place. If you google Gas Secure Ltd there are some Heatpump installs on the site.

Sponsored Links
If the mains pressure and / or flow rates are low then you may have no option but to install storage tanks in the loft to provide adequate flow for showers and bath filling in a reasonable time.

Ground Source heat pumps seem to be worthwhile when the collector coils are set deep enough. Consider a wet bore hole source if the geology of the location is suitable.

The battery technology used for electric cars is being used ( in a modified format ) to store electrical power from solar panels to provide power in the dark hours.

Thank you guys so much. I'm so sorry I didn't see these replies sooner - I did set up for email alerts but they must have gone to spam.

We are definitely having a woodburner, and in the last couple of days two people have told me how that alone will really heat the house up, so now I feel more positive about having a HP (knowing that CH-wise at least if the HP output is low/Slow release, the woodburner will Defo top it up)!

Visited a friend yesterday who has an ASHP and he fired it up and it was surprisingly quiet.

If I can somehow incorporate PV to drive the HP I'll be over the moon. Upgrading the Windows/doors, cavity wall ins., etc reassures me that hopefully the house should be up there thermally, so happy to 'experiment' with the HP.

I read that you need a garden available for GSHP to be 3x the floor plan of the area you are heating (?) seems huge(!) so maybe the ASHP would suit my application better.

Worst case, I see myself getting a slimline oil tank and combi back up the winter after next if it doesn't work out.....

If you go heat pump route the house needs to be mega insulated which may preclude the fitting / use of a wood burner. All that heat will disappear up the flue

Ground source are excellent but high fitting costs, air source have advanced in the last few years and are much cheaper to fit now. You need to work out the sums....will you make sufficient savings in your lifetime to justify the cost?
I'd consider rain water harvesting as well if you can

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back