I have a leak, who is best to call?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I all,
Bit of a stupid question but I have a leak coming through the top edge of the window. I have added a video.
I am wondering who is best to call? All roof guy or a window guy? As on the video there is a bit of overhang on the outside.
Thanks

Video example

Sponsored Links
As it seems to be coming in through the frame of the window I would opt for a window fitter, (not a glazier).
If nothing else, he should be at least able to put a temporary seal in place.

An external image would be much more helpful TBH.

The construction above the window is important - is it brickwork, a parapet, a roof etc.

the leak will either be from the cavity or from where the head of the window is sealed to the lintel

The construction above the window is important - is it brickwork, a parapet, a roof etc.

the leak will either be from the cavity or from where the head of the window is sealed to the lintel
I will add an image tomorrow when bright

Sponsored Links
I will add an image tomorrow when bright

20230218_121620 1.jpg

External image

Ah if its first floor then you need a roofer, my guess is under the first row of tiles the felt has rotted away and has fallen behind the fascia, water is running down the felt and instead of into the gutter is tracking backwards over the soffit which in turn is letting the water over the top of the window frame, the window head area looks well protected against driving rain so my guess its getting in above the window

The soffit also appears to have dropped over the window - a lack of support due to rotting / excess weight from water pooling?
exactly my thoughts without reading anything, its sitting on the top opener so do not open the top window even to look as the soffits cladding may collapse?? not in a dangerous way but an embarrassing big hole wayo_O

Could be a roof leak. Go in the loft with strong boards and bright light. Looks for damaged felt at the edge - use phone camera on stick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back