I have a new cistern - do I need another?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a BTW pan and cistern last month. The wc leaked dreadfully so I got another one. That leaked too so the company refunded my money. I have bought a new pan but my plumber says I need a new cistern. The cistern (plastic 6litre) is brand new - can he not re-use it? He says the connector will be out of shape as it's been hooked up to my first pan....is he just winding me up?
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Sounds like it to me, I replaced the pan on mine leaving the 20yo cistern alone and had no issues. He could always use another seal / pipe for a couple of quid.

Probably just wants to make sure it's all redone otherwise you could come back to him with a fault that is actually caused by your "old" cistern.

Thanks for that - he installed the first toilet too so should be any comeback there.

Sounds like you need a new plumber rather than new loo! Could he not explain why the previous loo he fitted was leaking? And why is he charging you to fix it?

Sponsored Links
He said it was a bad flush pipe connection...but something is still leaking even though we use buckets at the moment and the cistern is empty. I think because it's not fastened to the floor properly (floor not down yet) the toilet has been moving slightly....but don't like to tell him what I think! So I went and bought a new toilet, as you say, maybe I should just have got a new plumber!

I had a problem with my BTW because there was nothing to keep the soil pipe on the waste outlet of the loo, the rubber seal basically popped off every so often so in the end I jammed some wood between the wall and the back of the soil pipe to make sure it couldn't slip off so it could be something similar as you say the thing isn't screwed down yet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back