I have a problem with my boiler.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Im hoping someone can help.

Just as I was about to fall asleep lastnight I hear water shooting out of a pipe in the garden. Didnt know what it was until I went down and heard my bolier making the noise.

The problem is with the Central Heating Presure Gauge. Its hitting the limit and thats why the water was shooting out of the pipe. I decided to turn off the water at the mains as it was late, and I cant get a plumber out today.

If anyone know what the prob is and if I could fix it without paying a fortune for a call out it would be appericiated.

p.s I've check the little screw thing you turn when pressure is low and it looks fine.

The make is Ferroli Modena 80 E

The pic of the gauge: Should be between 1 and 2

Thank you

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=37696.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Expansion vessel is the big balloon like metal tank with a pipe coming out of it into the heating system usually located in the back of the boiler behind the combustion chamber etc. Kev is spot on , this could cause the water to discharge through the safety valve to outside when the boiler is hot. Its got an internal bladder that should be charged with air through a tyre type valve to a preset value, this can only be checked and charged with the boiler /system pressure at zero but if you can press the pin in the valve and water comes out its usually knackered and needs replacing. This can be easy or bloody awkward depending on access to it.
Are you sure the mains feed to the filling loop is shut off completely??.... if the boiler was cold when it poured its water out ......???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back