I have killed my lawn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well, some of it.

Can anyone help me, I'm a novice at gardening. I recently bought a new house, dug up the garden and laid turf (that was 6 months ago). Now the lawn looks like a scout group has been camping on it in certain areas - it has patches of dead / dry grass and looks awful. I have put two boxes of evergreen complete over it to no avail and am watering it regularly.

next step is to dig it up and re-lay some more turf if I can't sort it.

Help!!

D

Sponsored Links
did you whak the turf down when you layed it? sounds like its not in contact with soil and so died

Also , if its a new "new" house, you might find that the crap the builders have left on the ground will make it virtually impossible to grow oucht.

Sponsored Links
Its quite hard to kill off grass, I would suggest you ensure that its in contact with the soil, ie roll it or walk all over it, then give it a really good watering, Im talking all night with the sprinkler.
It then might spring back to life.
As far as seeding on top as has been suggested, that will not work as the seed needs to be in contact with soil, not dead grass.
What you could do is to sprinkle a mixture of sharp sand & top soil onto the dead area then seed it & gently rake it.
The best time to do this though would be autumn.

thanks guys. I'm going with diyisfun and big-all (soil/sand and killing the dog).

D

Just remember a dog isn't just for christmas, they come in handy for the Thai new year as well :!: ;)

Bitch pee will scorch your bright green grass into hay like a blow torch.

Maybe you put too much fert down and scorched them with all the Nitrogen - not sure what's in the evergreen complete. Have used it a couple of times and it worked really well.

To be honest, it gave the grass a head start against the weeds.

Grass roots are deeper than weeds so when they get a foot hold, they should be able to take care of weeds themselves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back