I it more efficent to have more radiators working less hard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in a old mid terrace. With three storeys. There is 11 radiators 3 of which i would call large single and 1 medium sized double. We have a large 35kw a rated boiler. From what i have read this would run around 20 radiators. Would it be more efficient to add more radiators so they are not working o hard to get the rooms up to temperature?

I'm burning gas like nobody's business at the moment. £100 in the last month.

Also the lounge i around 2 degree colder than the rest of the rooms. Would a second radiator or replacing the exciting one with a larger one be a better option?

Sponsored Links
Not more efficient, but bigger radiators will warm the house faster, and will keep the rooms at a more even temperature. Proper controls will prevent you wasting energy by overheating rooms. Radiators do not "work hard" in the sense of getting tired or wearing out.

Which is worth having.

If you want to cut down gas use, look at your insulation and draughtproofing. It is quite normal to use more gas in cold weather than in warm. Presumably you mean you looked at your meter readings for the beginning and end of January, and you used about 225 cubic metres of gas. So did I. This is not unusual in the middle of a cold winter.

Sponsored Links
'm on prepaid as it was a rental before purchasing it. I've properly put closer to £120 in it in the last 30 days.

I've considered insulating under the floorboards and loft. Its a lot of expense, and what sort of savings are you likely to get?

If you don't need to be on prepaid get it changed to a credit meter. The prepaid system in my last reposession purchase cost cash daily whether I used gas or not! And isn't feeding the meter soul destroying!

It should be free to change it but you may have to convince the supplier you can pay the bills.

Insulating the loft is a no-brainer. Hot air rises and all that...

It really isn't very expensive to do the loft insulation, and it will pay back within a few months.

Its a DIY job.

Just get down to B&Q and buy a few rolls. Or have a look around to see if there are any grants or freebies. Your energy provider may even pay the costs, or part of it. In fact British Gas often do, even if you are not their customer. Google it.

And get that meter changed for a non pre-pay.

'm on prepaid as it was a rental before purchasing it. I've properly put closer to £120 in it in the last 30 days.

It would be much more useful to quote the number of cubic metres you have used.

The Big 6 energy companies have to take part in the ECO (Energy Companies Obligation) scheme. They must spend money (approx £1.3bn a year) on energy saving measures. The scheme ends 31 March this year. Although it is aimed mainly at helping the "fuel poor", e.g those on benefits, it is worth checking if they will help as they have to spend the money and have only a few weeks left.

You don't have to be a customer of the energy company.

British Gas Free Insulation

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back