I know this is a stupid question........but

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to tile my walls and floor in the en suite shower/toilet room. I've done lots of research, and have aqua panelled, am about to prime, laid down plywood on the floor boards......and have only 1 question left before I start-

What size notches should I have on the trowels :rolleyes:

Sorry if it's really basic to answer- everything I read seems to take this as a given!

Andy

Sponsored Links
That will depend on what you are fixing to and the tiles.

For example if your walls or floor are uneven then you will need a larger notch to allow you to level the tiles, you should use a solid bed trowel in wet areas, how ribbed are the backs of your tiles or are they uncalibrated stone, what size are the tiles, mosaics will need a much smaller notch than 600x600 large format tiles, etc.

Tell us what you ar using & can advise further.

Jason

Well at least it doesn't seem to be such a stupid question now!

The tiles are 250*300mm, with an raised grid on the back (presumably to aid adhesion).

The walls are a mixture of aquapanel around the shower, and plasterboard/skimmed plaster in the other areas of the room. The walls are reasonably smooth.

Hope this tells you all you need to know.

Sponsored Links
A 6mm notch should do for the walls, The shower would be better with a "thin bed solid bed" trowel though you could get away with the 6mm. For the floor use a thick bed solid bed trowel. If you are not sure what these look like see this

Hope you are going to tank the shower walls ;)

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back