I love Artexed ceilings

You are partially right ic1927.

The Artex brand stopped using asbestos in 1985. However, old stock and other brands still contained it until it was banned in 1999. Therefore, H&S guidelines recommend that all pre '99 surfaces should be treated with caution.

I am not trying to worry anyone with this as the risk to general DIYers is minimal, but those working with it regularly should be careful.

Sponsored Links
I am a painter and decorator and Artex ceilings seem to fast becoming a pain in the (wherever you prefer).

When painting the artex, the roller is bringing the artex of the ceiling back down to the plaster board, creating a difficult patch up job! It also then makes me very wary of rollering the rest in case this happens again, (which invariably it does!)
There doesn't seem to be any way of knowing if this is going to happen or not as the ceilings all look normal, not cracking or flaking.

So I'm with flat ceilings !

Flat ones are trendy at the moment, along with white bathroom furniture.
Both are rather boring to a lot of people and it's only a matter of time before the trend is reversed, perhaps it will start with one the many property programs !

Both are rather boring to a lot of people and it's only a matter of time before the trend is reversed, perhaps it will start with one the many property programs !

you're quite right fashion seems to go round in circles and i'm sure the dreaded artex will be back. i personally don't like the stuff but do like gyproc coving even though this now seems unfashionable. if every one had the same tastes the world would be a very boring place! ;)

Sponsored Links
Well I may be wrong yet I doubt that Artex will relly ever make a comeback.

Dec

Well I may be wrong yet I doubt that Artex will relly ever make a comeback.

Dec

you never know! i have found myself applying more and more textured wall papers to a lot of ceilings recently. maybe the come back is just around the corner! :LOL:

You are right, you never know, we will just have to keep our fingers crossed I suppose.

Dec

another problem is how many decorators can apply artex nowadays as it's not been that common for many years. it takes a lot of practice to get the required expertise for the more demanding patterns.

First of all, welcome to the forum decelec.

another problem is how many decorators can apply artex nowadays as it's not been that common for many years..

I very much doubt artex will make a comeback.

it takes a lot of practice to get the required expertise for the more demanding patterns.

Yeah, its definitely a skill. How long did it take you to learn this?

Not sure if this is still apparent, yet in the 70s stretching into the 80s there were courses available with regard to the application of this system, if memory serves correct it was one week for the more random patterns and a two week course to include the comb.

If you were in those days self employed you frankly either learned how to correctly apply the Artex or you went out of business.

Dec

First of all, welcome to the forum decelec.
Yeah, its definitely a skill. How long did it take you to learn this?

thanks for the welcome RMS.

the reason i asked the question is that i have only ever applied stipple and combed effects and would not know where to start with the more advanced effects. its been out for many years and i just have not had the chance to learn and conquer the advanced textures.

Not sure if this is still apparent, yet in the 70s stretching into the 80s there were courses available with regard to the application of this system, if memory serves correct it was one week for the more random patterns and a two week course to include the comb.

If you were in those days self employed you frankly either learned how to correctly apply the Artex or you went out of business.

Dec

Did you artex many walls? I can handle a the look of an artex ceiling but walls is too much.

I don't mind the stipple effect and the round swirly one when its done right what ever it was called.

At the end of the day, whatever you're happy with, I have got rid of all my artex and covings in all rooms. Somehow I don't think the trend will come back. When people see what I've done, they want their done! Get the right colour or wallpaper to suit the room can make a lot difference. My property born in 1903 and I always tried to keep it original. Break my heart when people rip out their leadlight windows with cheap nasty stuck on lead with window paint

Just found this, the latest top 10 that can devalue property: No 6

6. Semi-permanent bad taste

Bad taste and workmanship can wipe between 5% and 10% off the value of an otherwise perfectly good home. "Stone-cladding on the front of the house can look cheap, while nasty-looking conservatories will also put off new buyers," she says.

The same applies to other semi-permanent changes that are not in line with modern tastes, such as timber panelling, textured walls and Artex ceilings.

Like I say, whatever you're happy with ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back