I might put in a multi fuel stove.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have an existing back boiler open fire in our living room. I was going to remove all and replace it with a multi fuel stove.
I have a timber frame house and am wondering what is the best fire boarding to use?
Also, what is the best way to finish off in around the two sides and the back of the opening for the stove?
The stove won't have a back boiler, I don't need it to heat the water.
I have the oil heating for everything else.

I do know I have to leave the correct opening distance around the stove BTW.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Hi, I will do the work involved myself, I'm a retired joiner and I'll get the stove install with the supplier, he is an HEATAS installer.

He is going to keep me right with the preparation.

Thanks.

Hi all,

...what is the best way to finish off in around the two sides and the back of the opening for the stove?
I'm courius to know your opinion, is it fire resistance or heat resistance board thats needed for the sides and back of the opening for the stove?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I thought your installer was going to keep you right. Not that I know the answer.

I'm courius to know your opinion, is it fire resistance or heat resistance board thats needed for the sides and back of the opening for the stove?

Thanks.
Primarily heat resistance. It's got to be able to withstand 1000°C for 30 minutes

Primarily heat resistance. It's got to be able to withstand 1000°C for 30 minutes

Thank you, good to know.

Would fire resistant board be the wrong choice then? Its just I know a person that took the job of installing his own stove and I think he is going to use fire resistance boards.

Thank you for your advice.

Last edited:
And the chances of these type of fires being banned soon is pretty high at the moment because of the ficticious climate change scaremongering.

I thought your installer was going to keep you right. Not that I know the answer.
Yes, your right, he will, just thought I'd ask the experts here as well. I just had the plumber in a few days ago to disconect the pipes from the back boiler. Its over to me now, when i get the time.

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back