Multi Fuel Stove

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi

I upgraded my heating system from gravity fed to pressurised.

The open fire back boiler starves one side of my house from heat so I may need to remove it.

I am looking recommendations for a multi fuel stove to heat room about 7x6 mtrs squared and possibly to filter heat into another room same size please?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Err...are you saying that the back boiler is still connected to the heating system? If yes then don't light the fire until whoever converted the system comes back, disconnects the pipework and ideally removes the back boiler completely.

New stove? No idea, nothing massive though.

Err...are you saying that the back boiler is still connected to the heating system? If yes then don't light the fire until whoever converted the system comes back, disconnects the pipework and ideally removes the back boiler completely.

New stove? No idea, nothing massive though.
Yes fire hasn't been lit and will not be lit until its out.

Sponsored Links
In the process of removing open fire back boiler and getting it disconnected.

What depth would you recommend removing from the chimney breast for the stove? Stove depth is 380mm and I was hoping to build a brick insert.

Would 20 inches depth be suitable?

Last edited:
Depends on the construction details of your chimney breast. Usual idea is to pull out all the infill junk that was put in for the original fireplace then see what's left- leave the structural bits alone.
As for the rest you're usually limited by manufacturers instructions regarding clearance from surfaces and building regs regarding hearth construction method and dimensions.

ok at the stage of installing the fireboard to the back and sides of the chimney, what fixings do you recommend?

i see some people use fire retardant foam would this be suitable?

i am cladding over the fireboard once installed

ok at the stage of installing the fireboard to the back and sides of the chimney, what fixings do you recommend?

i see some people use fire retardant foam would this be suitable?

i am cladding over the fireboard once installed
Again I'd be looking at manufacturers instructions for fixing the board (I've left the bricks exposed). What are you cladding over it with- again look out for clearances from flammable surfaces

Why can't you use concrete screws? or just screws for that matter?

Pair up with something like stainless wedi washers might stop the heads pulling through.

All boards that are bonded should have a few mechanical fixings, just in case the bond fails.

Why can't you use concrete screws? or just screws for that matter?

Pair up with something like stainless wedi washers might stop the heads pulling through.

All boards that are bonded should have a few mechanical fixings, just in case the bond fails.

Got concrete screws to screw cement fire board but will not screw in.

7.5 x 60mm (Box of 100) Easy Drive Countersunk Direct Concrete Screws. Free Torx bit included https://amzn.eu/d/9Oz2P2k

That's type I got what am I doing wrong?

Morning

Presume behind the fibreboard you have brick? you just need to drill the correct sized hole, 6mm drill bit to the depth needed... and you should be good to go.

What's the problem exactly?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back