I need a battery gun and Battery Circular saw

M

Murrreid

As it say's, I need to get a battery gun for drilling the likes of joists, and battery circular saw to cut things like floorboards. I want a decent make that will last pretty well, and possibly in a pack. I have a budget of around £300. Any ideas ?!

Sponsored Links
I posted about a year ago on the Ryobi circular performance. IIRC, it cut something like 9 lengths of 1200mm wide 9mm OSB before giving up.

Its also very important that it has a sharp blade. I've found cutting to be drastically poor when the blade wears. And although the teeth look and feel sharp, its hard to tell if they are worn enough to give poor cutting. So always have a spare and if the saw don't cut well on a new battery, then its the blade

The standard drill is big and heavy, but I find hammer performance is worse than my 12v dewalt. No good for regular drilling IMO (does holes OK but is too heavy) mine's use to mix plaster.

As a basis for a good cordless kit, Ryobi is excellent - some of the other tools are very good. I've heard that they are good for light-medium trade ;)

If those are the only two jobs you will be doing (joists and floorboards), then I'd say look elsewhere. If you want a good value kit of various tools, then yes Ryobi is it

ryobi great bit or kit usualy avalable for £100 if you wait long enough and shop around

yes the battery capacity is a p i t a if you planning on continuous cutting or cutting lots off thicker boards

if your doing several medium cuts over an hour your fine although a third battery would be handy

i cut several dozen sheets of 6 12 and 18mm mdf/ply every year and use the ryobi for most[95%]with the 24v bosch cutting the rest
i cannot remember when the mains dewalt circular saw was last used!!!!

in general battery capacity isnt a problem as i have 1.7 2.0 and 2.4 ah batts so longevity dosnt bother me

if you want a good quality kit sutable for diy or light to medium trade ;)
this is your kit

another point is the thin kerf blade means your only removing 1.5mm material per cut so less of a gap if your cutting access panels in floors

Sponsored Links
Panasonic 7440 drill driver and the new Panasonic ey4542 multi cutter circular saw(naked body) is the best option. 330+vat
Two lithium batteries.
Personally i think that at the moment Panasonic and makita are the best and reliable power tools available

Saw some chippys on site last week and they all had makita cordless saws. They were cutting mdf all day long with them

If you're going down the route of Lithium I'd go for something with cell protection - Panasonic, Metabo or Bosch - otherwise your batteries will probably fry after a while.

If you're not bothered about Lithium then any of the above makes + Makita (2 speed drill, not 3 speed) imo

I bought a small 12v Makita circular saw mainly just for sheet ripping up to 25mm thick, and its perfect and lightweight. I got a corded one for heavier work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back