I need a central heating engineer.. rough idea on cost?

Sponsored Links
Okay, official quote in and it seems more than reasonable to me in the end..

£200 which covers the pump valves, pump, control valve and boiler specific thermo couple inc labour.

£200 for gas valve, overheat stat and service inc labour.

:)
Sounds fair to me, go for it. At those prices you are certainly not being ripped off.
Good luck.

Just to add to this ongoing issue.

Its still not been fixed, waiting for the part, but am sure it will be this week.

Anyways, just for a blast I tried to fire up the boiler again yesterday (first time ive tried in about 3 weeks) All I did was press the control valve down and then reseat the boiler cover which had been left there to hang since the repair..oddly enough it sparked into action without any problems!

New pump worked well and we had all of our rads blazing hot within an hour or so.

So... question:

If its working does it still need a new gas valve/overheat stat??

I dont think that we even know if it has an overheat stat, probably not if its an openvented system.

If its working I would say that you dont need a new gas valve.

Nor do I know why you have waited so long for spare parts mostly available in less than three days. I expect we have one in stock!

What I do think is that you need a better engineer!

I suggest you tell them you dont need them any more! If any further problems arise then call someone else but check first that they do repair boiler and are not just going to come a give you a price for a replacement ( about £1500 inc. )

Tony

Sponsored Links
I dont think that we even know if it has an overheat stat, probably not if its an openvented system.

If its working I would say that you dont need a new gas valve.

Nor do I know why you have waited so long for spare parts mostly available in less than three days. I expect we have one in stock!

What I do think is that you need a better engineer!

I suggest you tell them you dont need them any more! If any further problems arise then call someone else but check first that they do repair boiler and are not just going to come a give you a price for a replacement ( about £1500 inc. )

Tony

Ah, was afraid of that.

Certainly will pay for the work already done, but I dont fancy paying for a new gas valve replacement if its not needed.

So when a gas valve goes, does the boiler simply not light or can it be intermittent?

Everything seems to be working okay now, perhaps all i should do is get it serviced.. (by a different engineer)

The most common gas valve faults are:-

1 Gas valve fails to open, usually o/c solenoid, about 90%

2 Gas valve sometimes sticks closed, about 9.9%

3 Gas valve is slow to close after being open about 0.01% but very dangerous!

4 Gas valve magnetovalve fails to hold pilot on, about 0.001% ( I saw one last month! )

Tony

Internal linkages broken so the solenoid pulls but does not operate the plunger!

So it sounds likely I will need an engineer out anyway, just in case the problem re occurs.

Thanks for your help everyone, am sure he said they tried changing the solenoid but couldnt get the pilot light to stay lit.

Think I may just pay for the work done and find a new engineer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back