I need a cylinder/pump flange that doesn’t exist!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

Looking for a flange to connect a shower pump to a HWC. The cylinder has an integrated 22mm compression connection at the top (no 1” or ¾” BSP). It also has an unused 22mm compression tapping on the side, which is normally used as a secondary HW return.

The problem: I can’t find a Surrey/Warix flange that will connect to the 22mm compression outlet at the top. I can’t connect to the secondary tapping on the side directly, as there is a lip/stop within the fitting, which prevents me inserting the 22mm pipe in towards the centre of the cylinder (to act as a dip tube). And I can’t use an Essex flange, as it will invalidate the warranty on the HWC.

Any ideas? I can’t be the first to have this problem. It just seems daft that I’ve got two tappings & I can’t use either of them! Thanks in advance guys.

Sponsored Links
Assuming the cylinder is a vertical one, not horizontal, then:
1. How far below the top is the secondary return tapping.
2. If its below the point where the cylinder top curves over, I'd have thought it was clear of any steam / air bubbles, and quite suitable for connection to a shower pump.
3. What shower pump is it?

File the stop but surely it is deep enough.

Would the swarf/filings entering the HWC not potentially damage it (along with the pump or shower)?

Assuming the cylinder is a vertical one, not horizontal, then:
1. How far below the top is the secondary return tapping.
2. If its below the point where the cylinder top curves over, I'd have thought it was clear of any steam / air bubbles, and quite suitable for connection to a shower pump.
3. What shower pump is it?

1 & 2. Not sure offhand, will measure. Salamander said that a dip tube is required, as otherwise it will invalidate the warranty - as air bubbles can build up it around the edge of the HWC & get pulled into the pump.

3. It’s a Salamander CT Force 15 TU.

Sponsored Links
Just change the angle of the hot outlet at the top of the cylinder to rise to the vent and then drop off that to feed the pump with hot. It'll be fine.

You wouldn't really want to insert a 22mm pipe in as a dip tube at the top anyway, the cylinder is vented so it needs to vent ..... up the supply/vent pipe as it happens ;), that includes air bubbles that are created when the coil heats the water. So the supply pipe from the cylinder needs to at least be a vent up to the cold storage otherwise the air bubbles would just fill up the space at the top of the cylinder and push the water level down to the tube anyway, defeating the purpose. Ergo a flange that allows the cylinder still to vent properly but provides a dedicated air free dip tube feed for the pump.

Not sure why you are worrying about the warranty though (Essex Flange), if it's a standard insulated copper cylinder then there's really nowt that can go wrong with it. The only issue really would be any immersion heater and that would be covered I would think regardless of whether you've added an Essex into the side of it. I'd certainly investigate the secondary tapping though, if it's on the flat side of the cylinder then it should be well below the level of any bubbles that would be formed.

Alternatively, as suggested, angle the supply/vent pipe upwards slightly and have a downwards facing tee off off of it to supply the pump.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back