I need a tool for cutting wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm new here and I have to admit I'm also very new to carpentry. But I have built a couple of small tables and things like that. The first couple of things I made I had the wood cut for me at the measures I indicated at the store but this costs money. Recently I built a small thingy with shelves and I cut the wood with a regular handsaw but it was a pain in the ass and I wasn't able to make all the cuts completely straight.

What I need is an electric tool for cutting wood for small projects. It needs to be able to make very straight and smooth cuts precisely to my measurements.

I have been looking at a couples of tools from Dremmel. The Dremmel DSM20 (http://www.dremeleurope.com/dremelocs-no/product/5059/487/dremel®-dsm20/dremel®-dsm20) and the Dremmel Trio (http://www.dremeleurope.com/dremelocs-no/category/2714/dremel®-trio™ are the only ones I have been looking at and they seem really nice. Actually it looks like the DSM20 could be perfect for everything I've been doing so far but on the other hand, the Trio has more functions so I could get more creative.

I see that the DSM20 has a much higher power input (it's corded). But do I need all that power? The other big difference is that the DSM20 uses a round saw while the Trio uses some kind of long bit thing. Which one will cut straighter and more precisely? It seems to me like the DSM20 would, but I can always use a guard with the Trio, no?

What are your recommendations? DSM20? Trio? Something else entirely (but still compact and at the same price range)?

Sponsored Links
That narrows the choice down somewhat big-all. :mrgreen:

What's the advantage? Is it gonna cut more precisely? I heard the smoother blade of the Dremel DSM20 results in a smoother cut.

Sponsored Links
you can mix concrete with a wooden spoon but it will take hours where as a spade will take minutes :D :D ;)

right tool for the right job
dremel wont cut strait unless you do

It needs to be able to make very straight and smooth cuts precisely to my measurements

For this I'd recommend any sawing machine in the Festool range.

I might be too late to offer my too cents, but just in case...

Of course some of the tools suggested by others are ideal for the specific purpose you state but I can understand the attraction to the Dremel tool which can be used for a variety of unspecified purposes. It would be great if we could afford a well tooled workshop for all our needs but realistically, the Dremel isn't a bad choice if you can accept that it will be a bit slower.

I reckon you could make straight cuts with the Trio if you clamp a piece of wood to whatever you're working on and use that as a guide. This guy is doing something similar to what I'm trying to explain.

You could also get a jigsaw (prices range from £20 to £100+) and use a clamped piece of wood as a guide as with the Trio.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back