Bosch multi tool?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been thinking about buying a cheap dremel type tool ...

and I came across the bosch multi tool...which I am now trying to justify buying for myself...and can think of lots of uses for it and lots of good things said about it for DIY use...but

I need to cut a neat inspection hatch in a vertical bit of tongue and groove...
was going to use a jigsaw (well actually a B&D scorpion saw as a jigsaw) on its side...or maybe a cheap angle grinder but I think this would do a good job?

And I have to cut a cable channel for a TV aerial...in a plastered brick wall...this wouldn't be up to that job would it? (thought angle grinder would be useful for this )

Also need to cut out a sink hole in a work top....guess the jigsaw would be better for this?

I have to regrout a shower...but a dremel thing or a handheld one would work just as well....

I'm cutting polystyrene insulation sheet - and it is messy - this wouldn't work on this?

(And a few other little jobs...amazing what you remember needs doing when you want a new toy!)

I already have a cheap detail sander - which I haven't used much because it is a bit rubbish (but I think better quality sand paper could change that)

Also worried about the blade replacement costs?

(when my scorpion dies I won't be getting a new one - £6 for a basic jigsaw blade....which wouldn't be too bad if you couldn't buy standard ones for a couple of quid...at least now they sell them individually - before had to pay £15 for all 3 blades when you had never used 2 of them...)

Sponsored Links
You don't NEED all of them, unless you have issues.

I have issues :mrgreen:

A jigsaw would be more useful by the sounds of it, small angle grinders are handy but messy indoors, hammer and bolster would be better for your cable run.

A power tool for cutting polystyrene is just being silly, stanley knife or old breadknife.

To muddy the waters and deplete your bank balance further, have you seen the JML Exakt saw? ;)

Now I want an one of those JML saws....as well..

Still think the multi tool looks more useful you can cut right up to the edge to something...(thinking laminate floor replacement in future...)

Cutting polystrene is incredible messy and hard to get a staightedge but I had a loan of an electric carving knife for cutting upholstery foam and read they work well on polystyrene too. I tried it and it did a really neat job (edges like when you buy it and very little snow) but I could tell the motor was working too hard on the 50mm stuff and it wasn't mine to break!

Will keep telling myself I don't need a multi tool....but I know want one ;)

Sponsored Links
I've got the multitool as a Christmas present a couple of years ago. Used it in several occasions, very pleased with it. My ex borrowed it too, very impressed :LOL: Be careful if you have to do some precise cutting, it kicks back slightly. If you are cutting timber and keep it at the same place for too long, it might churn the timber.

Considering having the JML saw for my birthday now :cool:

when you buy your multi tool buy the one with all the bits as they are expensive

no you cant do brick or concrete
yes you can cut copper plastic grout plaster wood metal with the correct blade
the uses are endless you will not regret getting one

i would not use one to cut a hole in a worktop as i have better thing to do with around an hour and 2 blades at 6 to £10 each :D :D

they now do a knife blade for polystyrene for the multi tool - but better still get a bahco insulation saw (for up to 75mm it cant be beaten)

I've ordered one with 13 accessories from Amazon for £99...(not the £59 one mainly because I want to use it ro remove grout as well and the cheapest blade for that on its own is £25! and the £59 one doesn't come with it)

I also looked at the Cel one but went for the Bosch- I don't think Bosch are going to disappear anytime soon (2 yr guarantee and all that)...

If you don't know Cel accessories are much cheaper but you can only use them on Cel tools (but Cel tools come with an adaptor so you can use other makes of blades...)

However on their web site they say they are releasing an adaptor (approx £15) in March this year which means you can use their accessories on other makes of power tool...so I went for the Bosch with the bits I will need for the jobs lined up in the next month or so...

Would be interested in knowing if anyone has the Cel one and is it any good? The reviews for the cordless one make it seem a bit rubbish (but mainly cos of battery life and that's why I'm not a fan of cordless tools in general....)

BTW I've decided that I will stick with the messy stanley knife/kitchen knife for polystrene - can't justify £17 on a special saw (or £27 for the Bosch blade :eek:) for a one off job!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back