i need help please boys!!!!! xxxxx

K

katie1987

hi boys and girls.
im kate and could really do with your professional advice.
i got a decorator round to do my lounge and turns out hes a perv!
he began the work sanding down woodwork, fixing plaster and whatever.
he then asked if i would be willing to give him a present to drop the quote price!!! i then proceeded to ask him to leave and now left with a half job.
i know you lot are probably laughing but i felt very uncomfortable.
anyway my mates dad is going to line the walls for me but is unsure what the best thing to do so i said id have a look online and see what i can find out!
so here we are hoping you lot can help us.
he thinks the plaster needs sealing before papering as its sucking out all the
paste?
he wants me to ask you should he use a mist coat?
or size? apparently they seal the wall? i have no idea but im sure you guys will.
again any help would be great!
cheers kate xxxxx

Sponsored Links
yes, I always like to emulsion the walls as I think it gives a good even surface. It also levels out the colour so that there are no dark or light patches showing through a pale paper. It highlights to the eye any blemishes in the surface so you can rectify them early. It makes it easier to strip off next time as well. Professionals might not bother as it is extra time and work.

If you are an amateur and rather slow, like me, it makes the house look respectable even if you have not finished decorating.

When emulsioning plaster, first be sure the wall is clean. Remove any traces of old paper or paste by wetting it and using a broad metal scraper; wipe any sludge off the edge of the blade.

Apply your first mist coast by thinning it well with water. The tin might say thin 10%, but I like to use at least 25% as it soaks in better, and mist it twice. Then you can apply an unthinned coat.

User matt white emulsion which is cheaper than colours.

For new (damp) plaster use a non-vinyl like Dulux Supermatt, as the wall can dry out through it. Otherwise, it doesn't matter, and vinyls are more durable.

p.s.
I am not a boy.

hey john cheers for your advice
im actually lining though would a mist coat still be used or size?

Sponsored Links
you can do either, but I prefer emulsion for the reasons I described.

I would advise to forget about the lining paper, by a bag of filler and make the walls good, that would give you the more professional finish.

Remove any shine off the plaster first using sandpaper then Give the walls a mist coat of Matt emulsion, that will highlight the bad areas to fill

Following on from what John has said you can use thinned emulsion or thinned paste (size) but the problem with thinned emulsion is if you ever pull the paper off it makes a hell of a mess of your walls as it leaves a flaky paint surface, for this reason i always recommend a paste size but in reality i now apply a coat of zinsser gardz.

I would also recommend a non woven lining paper to an inexperienced hanger as this will not expand and should enable you better joints, something like this :-

http://www.gowallpaper.co.uk/erfurt-mav-paste-the-wall-lining-paper-special.html

He can paste the paper or the wall, whichever he finds easiest

thanks boys great advice
goes to show there is more than one way to do things and everyone has there different ways.
as far as making good the walls then painting apparently there gonna need alot of preparation to make good, we have the paper already anyway.
wallrock fibreliner as it goes waste the wall stuff. hopefully does the job well.

any of you boys in the Hammersmith area btw?

Good choice with the paper, should make things easier.

Hammersmith, nah, i'm a country bumpkin, wander up to the smoke for a gig now and again, done my time in London and don't fancy the 5am starts anymore ! Hope it goes ok for you

cheers dec just one more question!
is it ok to apply the size to the wall with a wallpaper paste brush? also how much to you advice applying just a thin coat or thick? 1 or 2 coats?
i know what you mean about 5am starts i run my salon and i have to get up at 6
:mad:
kate x

Yep a paste brush is fine, apply a good even coat, particularly porous spots will suck in the paste quickly so just go over them again. Do it the night before and then you should be fine to crack on next morning, come back if you have any problems

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back