Mist Coat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, hope someone could give me some advice please.
I am having my lounge re-decorated which involves the walls being re-skimmed and painted.
I had the decorator in to give me a quote. His plan was to paint over the plaster with a matt white emulsion, then finish off with two coats of our preferred colour (also matt emulsion). I asked him if there would also be a mist coat over the plaster (having read what people had said), but he said they never have any problems with a normal coat, as long as it is good quality paint.
Anyway, the plasterer has done his skim coat (and done an excellent job by the looks of things). I asked him if he thought it was a bit strange that the decorator didn't think a mist coat was needed, but he didn't seem surprised at all. He also re-iterated that as long as the first coat of emulsion was a good quality paint, then it didn't have to be watered down.
What to do? I don't want to question what these guys are saying - they have 50 years of experience between them and come highly recommended, but should I insist on a mist coat?
Skim plaster is Thistle Multifinish (if that makes any difference)
Thanks
Alex

Sponsored Links
Well they are both wrong. We get too many posts in here about peeling paint for them to be right. They've just been lucky - or the poor sod that follows in a few years time cops the flack.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back