I need help with a new floor make up!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This isn't something I normally deal with so I need a little help! (please!)

Hi

I have been asked to help detail a new, (quite different) project, my client has what will in effect be a timber framed house on stilts. A lattice of 220x50 joists has already been installed between a steel ring beam which is suspended on columns about 5 feet above ground level with an area of around 130 meters squared. They intended the outer part of this area to be a terrace which will run all the way round an inner habitable 'cabin'. I have informed them the they will need to install a floor above the already joist covered area for practical purposes, partly because keeping water out will be much more difficult if both the interior and exterior floors were at the same level. My proposal is too lay a floating floor over the existing joists which will need to be both highly insulated and support underfloor heating above the insulation (Timoleon Toronfloor UHS seems the most appropriate choice for this). My possible floor make up from top of floor to outside air would be thus: oak flooring over rigid underfloor heating system (this would be in place of a bonded OSB board, look up Timoleon Toronfloor), laid over lapped and taped VCL, laid on 100mm Kingspan TF70 over further 20mm plywood base, a durable breathable membrane below, then finally the already laid 220x50 joists which are fully exposed to the outside air.
The point is that I don't want to have to specify extra joists hence the plywood base. Is my solution viable or even sensible? or will I have to just go with installing more joists above what is already there and insulate between? Also I am uncertain about the correct placement of the VPC and breathable membrane in this case? sorry to be so long winded!

Sponsored Links
LOL they already have a 'normal' house, but yes this new one (in their garden!!!) has all sorts of 'out of the box' ideas going on!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back