I need helpful advise about Reclaimed strip solid maple

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just about to lay 75smq reclaimed solid strip maple. It's not in bad condition but Some strips have old glue stuck to it. First question is what would be the best way to remove this glue, particularly from the tounge and groove area. Any tips, because sanding by hand would be tedious. Secondly I will be laying it on chipboard. What do I need to do to prepare the floor before laying and any advise on what are good products/glue to consider. Any ideas where the best place to buy products from in the UK. Sorry for all the questions I'm new to this type of DIY so I'd like to try and get it right.

Sponsored Links
Chipboard: the modern version with a moist repellent surface?
Bad luck then, no modern adhesive will bond with it I'm afraid.

You have to ply over it to get a proper surface to glue to blocks onto. Best adhesives: Mapei P990 (flexible) or F.Ball B92 (don't go for anything that says bitumen related)

Yep, WYL is right as regards the green (treated) woodchip and adhesive.

2 options !!

1, as WYL says, ply over and with 6mm minimum ply using ringshank nails then glue the floor down.

2, My preferred option. whether the woodchip is standard or treated. Cover with Novia building paper www.novia.co.uk it costs just £1.00 per/m2 and comes in 25m/2 rolls, so you will need 4. and secret nail the floor down. You get a much better fix and lose the additional height and cost the ply would give.

It also gives you a tighter fixing between the boards so if there are any bits of old adhesive you've missed the action of the secret nailer will pull the boards together. you can hire a "portanailer" from Hss Hire.

If it's reclaimed maple i imagine you will sand it after installation, if so, keep the sanding dust and mix with Lecol to use as a filler for any gaps/damaged boards before finishing with varnish...

The only way to remove the old adhesive is with a new paint scraper or an old (not so sharp) chisel i'm afraid, unless anyone has thought of a better way? The glue dres brittle and comes off fairly easy, use a new paint scraper for the tongue and a chilsel that fits snuggly into the groove (approx 6mm). You could also use a router for both but a bit tricky DIY.

75m/2 will take a while but will be worth it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back