I need some help fitting an extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys, I'll warn you now I am a complete nOOb to this DIY malarky and need some help.

In my bathroom I've got an extractor fan that is connected into the ceiling light, so that when the light is turned on the fan comes on. This is fine most of the time but when either me or the mrs gets up in the night to use the loo the extractor comes on and wakes the other up! What I am looking at doing is fitting a separate switch so that I can turn the fan on/off when it is needed, i.e. when I'm going for a shower I can switch it on but if just nipping to the loo can leave it off.

Can someone suggest a way in which I could do this, and if they could explain it in fairly simple terms it would be greatly appriciated!!

Thanks

Jim

Sponsored Links
The extractor is not only there to extract condensation and moisture created by the shower, it is also there to remove bad odours, I am not saying either you or your Missus **** stinks but.......
Anyway firstly/secondly (now we have smelly stuff sorted), are you aware of
the regulation concerning electrical work within the bathroom? :oops:

cheers Taylortwocities

Anyway firstly/secondly (now we have smelly stuff sorted), are you aware of
the regulation concerning electrical work within the bath?

He means bathroom..
Electrical work in a bathroom is notifiable and is expensive for a small job like this if you want to DIY it.
With respect, it sound like this job is outside your skill levels.

You'd be better getting a comptent electrician in to do it for you.
Find one at www.competentperson.co.uk

hey, thanks guys, I kinda thought it was going to be something that I wouldn't be able to do myself but thought I'd ask anyway.

Sponsored Links
Are you certain first you don't already have a fan switch, possibly outside of the bathroom, in a nearby airing cupboard or even in the loft?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back