I need to fit a on / off switch to kill strimmer engine Stihl FS 120

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Stihl FS120
I need to instal a on / off switch to kill the engine.
The item in the photo is the coil ? if so i have removed the small wire & the put a switch inline thus making / breaking the connection BUT strimmer still runs.

I then removed the wire which is grounded to earth next to the carb of which is an extension of the throttle cable & then did the above ahaib BUT strimmer stil runs.

Please advise where i should be making this connection as i thought the small wire from the coil would of done it for me.

Thanks

Attachments

• EaseUS_2023_05_25_13_05_17.jpg
    EaseUS_2023_05_25_13_05_17.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 58
Sponsored Links
Have you tested the between the switch terminals for continuity when the switch is toggled one way and no continuity the other?
Switch should be in series between the coil terminal and good earth so with it connected, one wire to earth ,test for continuity between earth and the switch terminal that will be connected to coil

Yes to the switch i used,continuity working fine when i operate it on & off.

Ah so maybe thats where i went wrong.
I cut the low tension wire then put the switch inline.

But you are saying to connect switch on the low tension wire then to earth,thus just putting tape on the other wire thats not now being used.

Yes to the switch i used,continuity working fine when i operate it on & off.

Ah so maybe thats where i went wrong.
I cut the low tension wire then put the switch inline.

But you are saying to connect switch on the low tension wire then to earth,thus just putting tape on the other wire thats not now being used.
Have you checked if the original switch wire has continuity to earth? if so it should work

Sponsored Links
No as i thought what i did was correct.

This FS120 uses the trottle cable to short out the coil.

That cable has been removed & now looking for a way to kill the enging once ive finished with it.
Currently just using choke.

So your last message about switch continuity doesnt apply here

All you need to do is wire from coil terminal to one side of the switch then wire from the other side of the switch to any point on the frame that shares continuity with the metal, iron part of the coil.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back