I need to sleep again please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Lady in distress here not getting sleep. There is a noise a bit like a finger rubbing a wet glass outside where the gas meter sits by the garage wall. The noise happens when the hot taps are turned on inside house. I also suspect that the similar but muffled noise 24 hours a day in the house is something to do with this? Can anyone advise as I am losing sleep..the noise is continuous muffled 50s alarm clock noise 24 hours a day yet the boiler is not always on and the boiler makes no obvious noise at all. The outside noise which is harsher and louder is in the copper pipe outside coming out of the meter and the down drainpipe is just above magnifying the noise like a trumpet outside! I think this could be travelling all across the newbuild house through the walls. Can anyone advise please. The boiler is in the garage and is a state of the art Glow Worm and 3 years old..recently serviced.

Sponsored Links
Gas meters can make a noise because the have mechanical components we had one that sounded like a seagull!

Just contact your supplier and the will exchange it.

If they are dragging their feet tell them you are also worried it may be overcharging you and will speak to Ofgem, don't worry though most old gas meters are more likely to be PUG (Passing Unregistered Gas) but it might gee them up if they keep you waiting too long ;)

If your boiler or any other appliance has a pilot that will account for a smaller noise when the boiler is off.

I also suspect that the similar but muffled noise 24 hours a day in the house is something to do with this? I think this could be travelling all across the newbuild house through the walls. Can anyone advise please. .
might be worth getting the water board to check their stopcock/meter pit . I had a loud screaming noise from mine once = went all through the house , was a leak on a plug on the meter :idea: small leak @ high pressure might be the cause and would run 24/7

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back