i-ON 40 burglar alarm battery replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,I am finding that my i-ON 40 burglar alarm is going off randomly (in the middle of the night of course. I only have the user code & not the engineer code. As the battery is a few years old I thought I'd replace it, and then if that does not fix it I'd check the sensors for insects, etc. Can all this be achieved with just the user code (I don't mind if it sounds when I remove the tamper front panel as long as the user code will reset the system after). Any advice will be most appreciated

Sponsored Links
Hi, thanks for posting. Unfortunately at 3am last night I just wanted to turn it off and was too bleary eyed to read the description on the panel. Same happened an hour later at 4am. I would have to wait for it to happen again to answer your very relevant question though and I don't really want to set it tonight & upset the household and neighbours again. Given the battery is a couple of years old I thought it might be a likely culprit

Recently my house alarm was randomly going off in the night. It ended up being the front door reed magnet contact. For a couple of weeks I refused to set the alarm in case of waking up the whole street as it was going off in part, night and full set. Checking the resistance of the contact may be troublesome if you don't have the engineer code.

Does your alarm sound like someone has opened the front door and it is counting down for unset? This is what mine was doing.

Sponsored Links
Hi AmzWag, I can't really answer that as I was asleep & awoken by the alarm in full shreik mode!

Hi, the log says Burg Z02 Alarm when it went off on both instances

Last edited:
I don't know which sensor is Zone 2 though. If I undo each sensor cover in turn, Zone 2 will become apparant on the control panel I guess. Will just have to hope that the user code will permit reset. Then I suppose replacing the faulty sensor would be appropriate, unless there is something obvious like a spider or dead fly on it.

Thanks Sparkymarka, using the walk test as you suggested, I have established Zone 2 is the hallway. I guess that means I should open up the sensor & if no obvious reason for failure I should perhaps change the sensor. Is that a straight change out or do I need an engineers code to set it up?

It MAY be programmed for engineer reset in tamper ....your not going to know untill you take that pir lid off , it MAY also be programmed for engineer reset for control panel tamper so it's the risk your going to have to make , go for the pir lid first...

IMG_2269.PNG

Thanks for all your help, Sparkymania, I'll check out the PIR today as a start point

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back