Accenta 8 burglar alarm fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Issues with our Accenta 8 burglar alarm. Power cut a couple of weeks ago set the unset external alarm off. Entering the code to the remote keypad silenced it, but the keypad was then disabled and the tamper light was lit. Researched loads of forums like this one and it seemed a good first step would be a new backup battery. This should stop the external alarm in a power cut when not set.

Bought a new Yuasa 2.1Ah battery and fitted it in the panel box. Bingo! Tamper light immediately went out and the RKP was enabled. Could set and unset the alarm from our user code just as before.

But then, a few days later, the soft internal alarm went off in the middle of the night. The alarm was not set and entering the user code stopped the ringing. However it was back in tamper mode and the keypad became disabled. In daylight I checked the new battery. Only showing 3V rather than the 12V I expected. Charged the battery up (now showing 12V) and put it back in. Checked the fuses in the board and all three were showing connectivity. Tamper light went out, RKP was re-enabled and user could would set/unset the alarm as before.

Next day, guess what? Exactly the same again! Internal alarm goes off, tamper light on, rkp disabled, battery showing 3v, rectified by recharging.

That evening we popped out for a couple of hours so set the alarm. As we came back in, the usual warning beeps sounded but then the full external bell started. Entering the code quietened everything down. RKP was showing Zone 3 (our lounge) but there was of course no break-in.

Pressed Reset to clear Zone 3 and the good old Tamper light re-appeared!
Charged the battery again, and once again everything seemed back to normal. I had no confidence this would last though. Sure enough, only a few hours the soft internal alarm rang again and the tamper light was on.

There's obviously something wrong here. Charging the battery daily is not a viable situation. Had a closer look at the circuit board and was concerned by some darkening (hoping not to use the word scorching!) in the top right of the attached photo. Should I be worried by this?
We moved in three years ago (previous owner deceased). We have the user code obviously but not the engineer's code or installer details.

Really hope someone on here can give me some pointers.
Thanks for reading this far.

Ian
IMG_20200306_151139908.jpg

Sponsored Links
Time and time again ....this is what happens on these panels when the battery is not replaced every 5 years or it’s not serviced
Replace the panel and spend a bit more on a panel that tells you when the battery is faulty if your not going to have it serviced !

Hi sparkymarka

Thanks for the quick reply, even if it doesn't sound like good news!
Any recommendations of a suitable panel to aim for?
I'm 'OK' with DIY stuff, but am I better using a recognised installer for this?
Thanks

Ian

Sponsored Links
Exactly why the batteries should be replaced especially on the panels that don't have protection.

Thanks sparkymarka and secureiam
Lesson learned, albeit expensively!
Our system seems fairly simple. One zone and PIR upstairs on landing. 3 PIRs and zones downstairs in hall, lounge and walkway to back door. Neither front or back door has a contact sensor, just relies on movement being picked up by hall or walkway PIR then gives us a few seconds to get to RKP to enter code to unset. I'll take a look at the two panels suggested.

Cheers

Ian

Most panels basics are the same, ie entry zone, walk through zone and guard zones in there simplest form.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back