I say leak from roof/gutter, landlord says condensation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, as the title suggests I live in a rented house (local council) and having a fun time regarding a problem that has arisen after 14 trouble free years, and wondered if anyone would care to comment as to what they think the problem is.

First some background information, just recently I moved a couple of boxes that have been stored on top of a wardrobe that sat in the corner of a bedroom, and discovered some black mould and what looks like a stain where water has run down the wall, nothing has changed inside the room that could make a difference in 14 years, and the marking sits level with the fascia/soffits, only in one corner as pictured below.

(the room has external walls to three sides, the wardrobe is positioned on 2 external walls), I always place furniture roughly 50mm from the skirting board to allow airflow behind it, the house is centrally heated, and stays at a steady 20 degrees throughout winter, there is a window (with trickle vents) roughly 2 meters from the corner of the room in question, which is usually open on the latch, and on the other side of the room there is an airbrick 12" x 9" in the disused chimney breast, there is no mould, or staining in any other area of the room, or house, just this one spot.

the landlords surveyor has been out to inspect the damage, and was at the property for 3 minutes maximum, no external or loft inspection was carried out, just a cursory glance at the corner of the room, before he declared it is condensation, and the room needs to be ventilated (it is, as stated above), then he was gone.

So, the obvious damage...

And externally, a friend was kind enough to get up a ladder and take a few pictures for me, first image is from underneath the soffit on the problem corner.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s198/andy_ccs/****ty%20repairs%20022_zpsfwm4mnn1.jpg

Pointing on the hip tiles

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s198/andy_ccs/****ty%20repairs%20024_zpsc7xfx6ej.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s198/andy_ccs/****ty%20repairs%20025_zpsaoh429na.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s198/andy_ccs/****ty%20repairs%20026_zpsszb3qd8l.jpg

I haven't been able to get in the loft as yet (I'm disabled, which makes it a bit awkward), but my nephew is coming to have a look for any signs of water ingress in there over the weekend for me, so I'll add images of anything he finds then.

The grey "bullseye" mark on the first interior picture is level with the bottom of the soffit, which makes me think this is something to do with the roof, and not condensation caused by lifestyle, I have asked the landlord for a second opinion, and was told that "the surveyor is fully qualified, and highly respected", which is great, but I do think he has it wrong in this instance.

Any input welcome,

Thanks, Andy

Sponsored Links
You do have penetrating damp, and this damp has attracted condensation - the black spots. Your leaving furniture backed up to the walls hasn't helped - keep the room ventilated and warm

The hip tiles need lifting and re-bedding or re-newing.

AAMOI: the tail of the hip rafter shows signs of fungal damage, the fascia mitre has opened and is not in much better shape. Penetrating damp of this nature and duration will eventually cause either wet rot or dry rot damage.

The last row of tiles and the felt underlayment should reach over the guttering by 50mm. Yours doesn't, so water is getting behind the gutter.

Best for starters to get some eaves trays put in, properly mitred under the bottom hip and properly put under the felt under the first course of tiles and not just shoved up there. Soon as it's warm leave the window open if u can.

Water is running straight off the hip and down the back of the gutter. You need new sarking felt or eaves trays to divert the rainwater into the gutter where it does no harm, the bottom of the hip needs re-pointing and the mitre on the fascia needs repairing.
Regards
Colin Evans

Sponsored Links
Hi all, and thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

Well, after a lot of backwards and forwards I managed to get a second opinion from the landlords surveyor, which amounted to him looking at the pictures rather than getting up a ladder himself and actually having a look.

He has agreed to send someone out to sort the ridge tiles out, and put eaves trays in and assess the condition of the guttering and fascias while they're up there, they will also be removing a disused chimney while they're there, so hopefully that will cure the problem.

Just to add that the window is always open on the latch in that room, and there are trickle vents, and an air vent in the chimney breast.

As an aside, while talking to one of their workman (here to fix "seasonal movement", or, as I would call it, subsidence) the surveyor in question apparently calls everything condensation, from bridged dpm to plumbing leaks soaking into walls, which made me wonder if there was a reason for it, and after a bit of digging it appears that if a landlord acknowledges a damp problem due to bad repair then they are liable for it, but if they state it's condensation due to the tenants lifestyle then they're under no obligation to get it repaired, hence saving money on repairs, but just have to offer advice instead.

I'm glad that you have sorted the cause to your satisfaction, now to remedy the effects inside the property. That too is the landlord's responsibility.

As to the "workman's theory" about the landlord's remedial phrasing i'm afraid that if push came to shove, and an expert witness RICS Surveyor took a view then no distinctions between damp or condensation would fly. The landlord would be on the hook.

AAMOI: i'm sorry to hear of another chimney stack being dropped merely because its redundant. As i've claimed a number of times, chimney stacks add character & value to a house & should always be kept unless dangerous.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back