Roof hip not meeting centre of gutter pictures help! thanks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice to help a friend. We only do flat roofs, but helping out.

The roof was put on 4 years ago, ongoing project . The original roofer has since gone out of business.

The ridge tile does not meet the corner of the gutter as shown in the pictures. It is out by around 150mm, same issue with the rear Hip.

I have lifted one of the ridge tiles. The ridge tiles are sitting centrally on the flinch beam, which itself sits on the inside corner of the roof.

The walls are square.

Some other notes:

• The side roof pitch is steeper than the front pitch. Front = 37 degrees, Side = 47 degrees

• The soffit overhang is equal all the way around at 450mm.

My friend is willing to strip the roof to correct this if needed, as it may cause issues for surveyors in the future.

What would you advise to resolve these problems? Any help and advice on how to put this right will be appreciated.

Thank you!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-10-25 at 12.13.24_2184ef10.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-10-25 at 12.13.24_2184ef10.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 95
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-10-23 at 19.31.09_7e482e09.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-10-23 at 19.31.09_7e482e09.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 87
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-10-25 at 12.10.10_dc625110.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-10-25 at 12.10.10_dc625110.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 85
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-10-25 at 16.41.46_9e6c2eb4.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-10-25 at 16.41.46_9e6c2eb4.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 92
Sponsored Links
Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice to help a friend. We only do flat roofs, but helping out.

The roof was put on 4 years ago, ongoing project . The original roofer has since gone out of business.

The ridge tile does not meet the corner of the gutter as shown in the pictures. It is out by around 150mm, same issue with the rear Hip.

I have lifted one of the ridge tiles. The ridge tiles are sitting centrally on the flinch beam, which itself sits on the inside corner of the roof.

The walls are square.

Some other notes:

• The side roof pitch is steeper than the front pitch. Front = 37 degrees, Side = 47 degrees

• The soffit overhang is equal all the way around at 450mm.

My friend is willing to strip the roof to correct this if needed, as it may cause issues for surveyors in the future.

What would you advise to resolve these problems? Any help and advice on how to put this right will be appreciated.

Thank you!
I can't even look at those piccies without feeling ill. Did an idiot design it or was it an idiot the carried out the work?

The soffit width (overhang) on the steeper pitch should NOT have matched the soffit on the shallower front bit. It should have been narrower. This is why you have that horrendous hip and the stupid pagoda style tile kicking up at the bottom. So WRONG.

Sponsored Links
This is where the soffit/fascia line should be...
View attachment 318471
thankyou so much this makes sense. i hd posted this on another forum and it turns out the techincal name for this issues is bastard hip. we are planning to try and do as pe ryou picture and re-lay ridge tiles with the hope of getting it to look half decent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back