I think it is time I changed this boiler

Razi said:
The engineer is willing to fit 5 thermostatic valves on the radiators for extra £70.

Thermostatic valves on all rads except the one in the room where the room stat is, is mandatory to Part L energy efficiency regs and basic CHeSS.

Sounds like the installer doesn't know the regs.

At that price and if it includes VAT then bite his hand off IF you are sure he is all he says he is :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Why the **** would a sealed system need a powerflush?

Edit: Blimey, the swear filter here is pretty good isn't it? even caught a deliberate but obvious misspelling.

EliteHeat said:
Why the f***** would a sealed system need a powerflush?

Edit: Blimey, the swear filter here is pretty good isn't it? even caught a deliberate but obvious misspelling.

Why not? I always powerflush all new boiler installations to make sure the warranty is valid. I even powerflush 'all new' ch systems as I find it quicker and easier.

Why would the warranty be invalid? the standard calls for cleansing and not powerflushing.

Sponsored Links
EliteHeat said:
Why would the warranty be invalid? the standard calls for cleansing and not powerflushing.

Agree, but I personally don't think a system will be clean without a powerflush. Each to his own I suppose.

EliteHeat said:
Why the f***** would a sealed system need a powerflush?

It sounds like a really good offer for that boiler, the cdi is a really good product, and all the work included. A power flush for a new boiler is always a good idea unless the system is proven to be clean. Even sealed systems get really soiled if not cleaned when converted and not treated with inhibitor. I powerflush for a boiler exchange 4 out of 5 times. The test to see if it is needed or not takes only a minute. Fire the system up and check with a infra red thermometer if the lowest radiator has a more or less linear fall in temperature between flow and return along the bottom of the rad. If the middle is colder than the ends, it could do with a flush. I have yet to find a system where the water did not turn completely black when flushed using FX2 from kemko after finding cold spots in the middle of the rad.

Thermostatic valves are advised with a boiler change, not compulsory. They are only a must on whole new systems. Worth the money though; lower bills and no boiling bed rooms or spare rooms.

bengasman said:
Thermostatic valves are advised with a boiler change, not compulsory. They are only a must on whole new systems. Worth the money though; lower bills and no boiling bed rooms or spare rooms.

Disagree with this, compulsory on all boiler changes etc.

gas4you said:
bengasman said:

Disagree with this, compulsory on all boiler changes etc.

I agree with dave

cos I am a yes man

I hate to sound like a stuck record, but how can powerflushing a sealed combi system be quicker and easier? It takes me a great deal of time to powerflush and I always allow a day to do it properly. And yes, I use my laser-guided thermometer too – actually, I hand it over to the customer to play with.

This is one for the chemists really, but I cannot see how a sealed system with a finite amount of oxygen in it, being exposed to ferrous material, can allow that much contamination. Please correct me if I am wrong.

The way I approach this is to always quote for a powerflush on open vented systems and recommend a Magnaclean be fitted as part of the installation. I always cleanse sealed systems and offer a Magnaclean if the customer is interested.

Is the updated chess compulsory or just a recommendation, ie have the building regs been changed too to more than sleeping areas (compulsory)?

As far as I am aware they are all part and parcel of the updated Part L.

But why fit an inferior system for your customer? They are paying enough anyway, so fit the best and most up to date all the time. I always fit to CHeSS 2005 best practice.

Well I've had a quick scan of the 2005 update and the 2006 version and can't see anything that makes more than 2002 'sleeping areas to be zoned seperately' compulsory. Chess having us (thereby the customer) over it seems!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back