I think the washing machine waste is backing up into toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
TGIF!
Firstly, apologies for the post - my DIY skills are very basic so please bear with me, even if it seems obvious!
I've recently taken delivery of a brand new tumble dryer (we've just had a gap where the previous owner had installed one for the past decade) and before installing I thought I'd take a comprehensive look at the setup of the pipes, etc...
We have had, for a very long time, an issue where the downstairs loo (which very rarely gets used at all) ends up having some "sludge" in it when you open the lid. This kinda smells "musty" - not a "nasty" or "rancid" or "toilet related" smell, but it certainly doesn't smell fresh.
Flushing the loo solves the issue.
Never really had the time or energy to look at it... until now!!

Can an expert here please confirm a couple of things.
Firstly, just my suspicions about this set up. Photos below:

upload_2019-6-28_18-39-59.png

upload_2019-6-28_18-44-37.png

upload_2019-6-28_18-49-11.png

Sorry if the photos are unclear - the washing machine is in the way!
upload_2019-6-28_18-39-59.png
upload_2019-6-28_18-44-37.png
upload_2019-6-28_18-49-11.png

So the utility room sink waste currently goes across at a fairly horizontal angle, and then behind the washing machine goes almost straight down vertically, and there is a u bend, before coming up slightly about 10cm off the floor, and then through the brick wall into the passage way until it reaches the standard gutter.

The other pipe is shared by both the washing machine (which drains vertically into it (if u don't count the upside down u bend from the appliance itself) via a "T junction", and originates from the downstairs loo sink. This then drains into the toilet waste pipe via some kind of T junction...

I've only just noticed that the toilet waste pipe (downstairs loo) is almost horizontal, which got me thinking about the possible backwash from the washing machine and/or the downstairs loo sink...

So - first question. Does my hypothesis sound correct?

If so, my second question is - am I OK to instead plumb the washing machine waste into the other pipe (probably under the utility sink rather than messing around with T junctions)

I'll probably start another thread regarding what type of connectors I'll need under the utility sink if this is the case (to accommodate both washing machine waste and condenser dryer waste)
Many thanks for any responses!:D

Sponsored Links
It may just be the pic is misleading ,but it appears that your soil pipe ( big 4 inch one ) is running " uphill " ,rather than having a fall and running downward . Which would account for the washing machine waste water running into the WC pan.

Washing machine waste running uphill. Looks like 4” soil pipe as per terryplumb is running uphill also.

Sponsored Links

Many thanks for your responses.
I'm pretty sure the first link will do fine, I just need to find someone that stocks it now (I checked ScrewFix website but couldn't find the exact same one, unless I'm being thick!)
Going by that picture on the McAlpine website, does it matter which one the washing machine fits onto and the tumble dryer condenser waste? I'm guessing tumble dryer on the left, washing machine on the right?

Thanks again

Thanks everyone. I fitted the trap successfully, and the washing machine hose into it - I've ran two cycles today and there were no leaks on the second run (first run had a small dribble, I repositioned the hose (pushed it further) tightened the hose clip more)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back