I thought replacing the thermostatic shower mixer valve was easy - I was wrong.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Diynot,

In our bathroom we have a Triton Tesla Bar Mixer Shower. It's been on the wall since 2015. It started leaking once under guarantee - and got replaced in part or in whole - but now it's out of guarantee - so we need something new.

Foolishly I thought I could just buy any mixer valve set at 150mm and it would screw on and we'd be away. But it looks like I'm wrong.

Screwfix had one on offer, so I went with that:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/swirl-exposed-thermostatic-mixer-shower-valve-fixed-chrome/55206

But the give on the hex-nut isn't enough to fix onto the existing pipework.

Before I explain this in more details with pictures (below), in short: how do I sort this out?

I assume what I'm actually asking is how do I make sure that the next mixer unit I buy has enough give to fit onto the existing fittings. (Maybe the answer is simply going to B&Q and checking their display models - but I just wanted to check I wasn't missing something).

I am aware one answer is to remove tiles, remodel the copper pipe, fit new s-elbows supplied and use the current unit - but if possible I'd just like to screw a new unit onto the old fittings. Thanks.

In more detail, with 4 pictures:

Picture 1 and 2. Here are the existing fittings. Notice how the copper pipe is quite close to the end.
Picture 3. This doesn't matter with the old unit as the hex-nut has quite a bit of give and can just screw on as is.
Picture 4. But with the new unit, a part of it sticks out proud of the hex nut. This means when you try and fit it, it hits the copper pipe in pictures 1&2 and so it can't be screwed on.

Thoughts please on what I can do? Thanks in advance.

IMG_20220430_121501655_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220430_121522602_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220430_121612141_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220430_121730419_HDR.jpg

Sponsored Links
Funnily enough.. I have been thinking about this precise problem but from the opposite side. I deliberately left the copper pipe as long as possible in my installation to allow for somebody potentially fitting thicker tiles in the future.

As for a new mixer valve: the one I bought should be suitable for you but I can't comment on reliability. It came with domed gauze washers that do stick out into the inlet pipe but they can easily be replaced with flat ones. The slight protrusion you can see in the photo is well less than the thickness of the washer, even compressed (and you could always double up)

Edit: as I think about it, the reason it is supplied with domed washers is probably to accommodate that slight protrusion, so, if you require the gauze washer, doubling up may in fact be necessary (i.e. a normal open washer on the seat with a gauze washer on top)

Attachments

• IMG_20220430_132419_1.jpg
    IMG_20220430_132419_1.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
This has caught me out before... hell knows why they designed like this. Your just unlucky. Plenty of other brands will fit perfectly

Last edited:
Try removing that filter with a box spanner.
It may be an extension on its own.
Then replace the filter with a rubber flat washer type.
Worth a try.

It's not.... better to take it back and get a another valve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back