I want LED tracklights, but which voltage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Theres a debate about whether warm LEDs are good enough but I'm assuming they will be. However, I want to choose which voltage will be better. I want them dimmable, I want them track mounted, I want 5 lights per track. Also, as they may not be good enough to replace Halogen just yet, would it be too much to ask if cheap Halogen lamps could be used in anything suggested untill the LED quality and price improve?

Sponsored Links
Theres a debate about whether warm LEDs are good enough but I'm assuming they will be.
Don't make any hard-to-change modifications to the fabric or electrical infrastructure of your house based on that assumption.

Also, as they may not be good enough to replace Halogen just yet,
There are alternative lamps which are good enough to replace incandescent ones though.

would it be too much to ask if cheap Halogen lamps could be used in anything suggested untill the LED quality and price improve?
It's unlikely that you'll find luminaires which will work equally well, or even approximately as well, with incandescent lamps as they will LED, and vice-versa.

You might find some which work equally badly, e.g. ones which take 2" diameter spotlight lamps, but you'd be daft to install those no matter what type of lamp you put in them, unless you do want narrow beams of light to highlight, or spotlight, individual features of display items.

Thanks BAL

You correctly assumed my concern, the first fix is being done on my extension and I don't want a rewire to cater for transformers or changing dimmer switches at a later date.

Can you recommend incandescent replacements which are dimmable, work on tracks and don't cost the earth to buy or run.

If direct replacements to LEDs are not looking likely I'll also look into cheap spots for now. They're high up on a vaulted ceiling whichs gives me some scope. I wanted to get my 25% low energy lighting sorted for regs.

Sponsored Links
Can you recommend incandescent replacements which are dimmable, work on tracks and don't cost the earth to buy or run.
No really - I suggest you start googling for fluorescent track lights and find ones with HF ballasts which are, or can be replaced with ones which are, dimmable.

Why is is so important that they be track lights?

If direct replacements to LEDs are not looking likely I'll also look into cheap spots for now. They're high up on a vaulted ceiling whichs gives me some scope. I wanted to get my 25% low energy lighting sorted for regs.
Doesn't a high vaulted ceiling lend itself to concealed cold-cathode neon lighting?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back