I WANT TO INSTALL AN OUTSIDE LIGHT PLEASE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI
I AM INSTALLING AN OUTSIDE 60W SWITCHED LIGHT.
I WANT TO PUT THE LIGHT ON MY BACK WALL NEXT TO THE KITCHEN
IN THE KITCHEN I HAVE A DOUBLE SOCKET AND NEXT TO THAT A FUSED SWITCHED SOCKET THAT SUPPLIES THE FAN CAN I ADD ANOTHER FUSED SOCKET TO THAT TO SUPPLY THE OUTSIDE LIGHT AND WHAT FUSE SHOULD I USE.ALSO THE CABLE THAT FEEDS THE FUSED SOCKET AT THE MOMENT IS 2.5 THEN 1.5 TO THE FAN,SHALL I USE 2.5 TO THE NEW FUSED SOCKET THEN 1.5 TO THE NEW LIGHT.
Sorry for the capital letters
if i cant do this can someone please tell me how

Sponsored Links
If the circuit is a ring final circuit then you cannot spur off a spur if the existing one is already a spur. The presence of two feed cables might indicate that it is on the ring. If you are in any doubt then a test will need to be carried out.
You sound like you might be a little out of your depth. I think you should use a competant electrician to carry out this work for you which is the most sensible course of action anyway if you are in England or Wales due to the required notification.
Also typing in capitals is considered shouting.... ;)

I think outside lights fall under Part P of Building Regulations that require the Local Authority Building Control be notified. You fill in the form and pay the fee, they will then tell you what inspections they need (often 'first fix' and finished) and you arrange times.

If you change to a non-switched fused connection unit, you can run both the light and the fan off the FCU. As this is a new light it probably requires a 30mA RCD. If the supply circuit is protected by an RCD that should do. I think The cable must be exterior grade (black BS6004?).

If you don't have an RCD on the supply circuit, you might use an FCU with RCD:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/83049...eed-_-Electrical Supplies-_-Volex 13A RCD FCU

Not necessarily notifiable per se, but if you're extending your kitchen circuit, then it is.

The installation of equipment attached to the
outside wall of a house (for example security
lighting, air conditioning equipment and radon
fans) is not notifiable provided that there are
no exposed outdoor connections and the
work does not involve the installation of a
new circuit or the extension of a circuit in a
kitchen or special location or associated with
a special installation.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back