i was wondering...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i did my apprentiship about 10 years back passing my c&g 1st and 2nd years. now, my company is niceic reg so i obviusly test my work, fill out a minor works and it gets sent back to the office.
if i were to do a PJ am i able to do an e-cert (not an niceic one obviously) under my own name or is it that im only able to do this due to my company being in the niceic?

Sponsored Links
I would have thought that as it is your company & not you who are registered that you would not have been able to do your own,but if you fill them in on your companies behalf then that seems to suck to me.

I'm going to join in with the aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah's because this is becoming very frustrating!!!

1. On completion, ALL electrical installation work must be tested and the results must be documented & recorded.

2. The easiest, but not the only way is to enter the test results on to an existing template/model and there's even a sample in Appendix 6 of 7671 and in the part P document.

3. The NIC-ECA and a host of other bodies have used the sample in 7671 to create their own certificates for their members but their members don't have to use them if they prefer to use their own. As long as the recorded information is in line with 7671 you can use what you like.

4. The NIC sell their model test certificates, red denotes NIC member and green for non-members. There is no legal difference between the two. The ECA also sell a range of test certificates to anyone who want's to buy them.

5. Whether you're registered to self certify that your electrical installation conforms to ALL SECTIONS of the BUILDING REGS or not, you must always submit your documented electrical test results to the customer.

5. Whether you're registered to self certify that your electrical installation conforms to ALL SECTIONS of the BUILDING REGS or not, you must always submit your documented electrical test results to the customer.
but isnt that somewhat of a contradiction? surely self certification is signing a certificate and handing it over to the customer? no?

im asking weather im self certified having done my 2 years is all or whether id need to do a course going over the same 5hite i did 10 years ago. do you see my point?

you dont have to answer if its too frustrating, i will understand. ;)

Sponsored Links
Self certification is about notifying building control, as all ready stated electrical works requires a certificate.

If you are competent then notify building control before the works and they will inspect upon completion.

ELZ4742 said:
but isnt that somewhat of a contradiction? surely self certification is signing a certificate and handing it over to the customer? no?:

An electrical test certificate is just that. It's documented evidence that the installation has been tested in accordance with 7671. It has absolutely nothing to do with Building Regs self certification.

Before anyone carry's some building work within a domestic property details of the work have to be submitted to Building Control before they are started. Depending on the type of work BC may require structural and other calculations to be submitted with the application.

Once the works are approved they are monitored by the local building inspector at various stages to ensure they meet the regs and no corners have been cut.

When the works are complete the building inspector certifies them and the LABC issues the householder with a Building Regs Completion Certificate. Without this certificate the building/extension is listed as uninhabitable and make re-sale almost impossible.

Up until 2004 the building regs did not include the electrical installation so if the electrical installation was a mess BC could still sign it off.

The building regs consists of a number of parts and in 2004 Part p was added which covers the electrical installation. This means to get BC sign off the electrical installation must also now be up to scratch.

As all electrical installations should only be carried out by people that know the regs and test and document the works it was decided to set up a scheme to allow us to self certify our part of the works, monitored by a few industry bodies like the NIC rather than the existing building inspectors who have no electrical training.

So for domestic works only all you have to do is join one of the self certification schemes who will vet you to make sure you are competent to carry out and test electrical works. You then carry on as normal with one slight change. When you finish your testing you submit details to your controlling body who then pass this onto the LABC. Once they receive the details they will issue the Building Regs Completion Certificate in the normal way to say all works have been done to the current building regs.

Unless you're a member of a self certification scheme BC will not take your word that your installation has been done to the building regs. So for PJ's you will have to submit a building regs application before you start some works and you will have to pay them to inspect it before they will certify it and issue a Building Regs Completion Certificate. As part of their certification they will of course require an electrical test certificate because all installations must have one anyway.

oh righty, that makes sense. so bassically my qualls dont mean anything when it comes to private work, i will have to enroll in one of these schemes, show my greatness to the inspector and assuming he agree`s with my greatness will offer me a certified installer ticket.

yes?

ELZ4742 said:
oh righty, that makes sense. so bassically my qualls dont mean anything when it comes to private work, i will have to enroll in one of these schemes, show my greatness to the inspector and assuming he agree`s with my greatness will offer me a certified installer ticket.

yes?
And pay a large fee every year.

ELZ4742 said:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Read Pen's posts again.

You do the work, you issue an electrical installation certificate. That's the electrical part done. This is the case for any job. In order to do this you need to be competent as defined by Reg 16 of the EAWR 1989. (Your qualifications are part of this competence.)

But, now that domestic electrical work is included in the Building Regulations you also have to demonstrate compliance with those regulations. By issuing a certificate (assuming it's not falsified) you have already complied with the main requirements of Part P, but there are other regs to worry about. (Most notably, parts A, B, E, F, L and M.)

Joining a scheme means that you are able to self-certify that your work complies with all relevant Building Regulations. If you are not in such a scheme then you have to notify Building Control in advance and accept their inspection regime, for which you pay a fee.

So, no, you don't have to join a scheme and no, your qualifications have not been rendered worthless.

oh right fair doos. does seem like a lot of bother just to stick an socket it though eh? i realise why they enforce it though.

thanks. ;)

:rolleyes: < i hate that smilie, comes across patronising. :eek:

indeed, although id rather :rolleyes: than
gay.gif

lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back