New consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.
Ok, basically im looking to change my consumer unit. Ive done plenty before when working for an NICEIC company (a year or so ago), but now most of my work is industrial, and im not tied into that company anymore.

So i'm just trying to find out what to do. Do i phone up building control and tell them im changing it? Or is there another path im meant to go down? Im not registered to Niceic or anyone else for domestic due to the fact i currently only do industrial.

Got about 5 years electrical background, and testing qualification, so ive got no problems with testing before and after etc or doing the work. Its just the 'who do i tell' that im not sure about.

cheers!

Sponsored Links
Inform your local building control.

Or, if you know a registered person, have them sign it off ;)

Speak to your local BC as crafty says, they'll probably ask for approx 100 squids and come round and inspect the job and your EIC when done.

Or, if you have any mates that can self certify... its a bit naughty but they might be able to help you out for a couple of beers ;) (as long as they trust your work enough to 'wrongly' put their names to your cert and then tell their registering body that they did the work)

Cheers mate

Just out of interest, do you have to inform building control about periodic inspections of houses aswell?

Sponsored Links
Maxxy said:
Cheers mate

Just out of interest, do you have to inform building control about periodic inspections of houses aswell?

No periodic inspections are not notifiable*, the only way the two may come into contact is that a BC might in some cases ask for a PIR to prove works were done in accordance with BS7671 one thoughg, in say a situation where work was done without BC approval and you want to bring everything back above board

*Even if they were (which they are NOT) how is anyone going to know that it has been done....?

There is a good post on here by Ban-all-sheds (who has just left the forum today :cry: ) which explains everything to do with part poo clearly

Thanks for all the replies :)

Think ill chase up the guy i used to work with rather than hand the Council another 100 quid

I'm considering joining a scheme like NIC, but dont feel its worthwhile just yet, plus i need to boost my domestic knowledge before i consider it fully!

General question regarding certification, if someone 'self certifies' and supposedly informed the Local authoity etc. and later it is discovered that he was not sufficiently qualified and has disapeared of the face of the earth can any kind of retrospective certification be granted by Local Authority. i ask because a distant relative of mine had some wiring done the guys now gone bancrupt and legged it.

Dai

If the electrician was registered with a scheme than the householder will get a building control certificate from them.
And the scheme should offer some form of warranty.

There should have been a Electrical Installation Certificate for the work to comply with BS7671 if there was one issued on completion of work then you can tell LABC this and they should accept it.

You can explain that you accepted work in good faith.

Given the circumstances you describe I suspect there will be no EIC in which case you will need to have work checked PIR by a competent electrician

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back