Replacing Consumer Unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning chaps,

Im going to be replacing an old Fuse type consumer unit with a new MCB one. Im fine with the work becuase its just going to be basically a straight swap Im just not 100% sure what to do with the live side.

Do I have to contact the supplier? Remove the main fuse?

Any advice would be great thanks

Sponsored Links
The right thing to do would be to contact the supplier for a fuse pull, the wrong thing to do would be to remove the fuse yourself.

If you choose the wrong option then first have a good look around the fuse carrier for evidence of damage, cracks etc as you wouldn't want it to break apart on you!

Pay some attention to the testing - even if it is a 'straight swap' otherwise you might find you spend your life reseting RCD's... :p

Or MCBs if there are loads which don't cause a fuse to operate but will cause an MCB to....

Sponsored Links
thanks for the advice guys, ill contact their supplier, im not qualified for the inspection and testing but i am pretty confident on the wiring side of it. what tests could i run to check it for myself?

Im fine with the work becuase its just going to be basically a straight swap
Replacing a fusebox or consumer unit involves far more than that.
The entire installation should be inspected and tested first, as there are always items which require minor (or major) repairs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back