Consumer Unit/Mains Block

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had an Electrician come round yesterday to replace an old style fuse box with a consumer unit. All is ok and he has done a good job.

But he says he needs to come back next week to put a mains block by the consumer unit? I've tried finding out what a mains block is but having no success!

What is the mains block for? Im just curious.

Sponsored Links
So what did he use instead of one on this good job?

Aidey - could you post photos of the CU/meter/service fuse area? And of one of the inside of the CU if you're happy to remove the cover (taking care not to poke any fingers or screwdrivers etc inside)?

Right..just to re-iterate my original question - WHAT IS A MAINS BLOCK?

I am NOT an electrician and would rather do without the 'know it all smart ar*e comments from people like ban-all-sheds.

Anyone who is willing to give me an idea as to what one is, thankyou in advance.

Sponsored Links
WE DON'T KNOW.

I am NOT an electrician and would rather do without the 'know it all smart ar*e comments from people like ban-all-sheds.
And I could do without comments like that when I asked a perfectly civil question, and asked you to provide information which would allow people to help you.

Anyone who is willing to give me an idea as to what one is, thankyou in advance.
Click.

And we don't know as it's not a standard term.

It could be:

A Service (Connector) Block (also known as a Henley Block):

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Cable_Accessories_Index/Connector_Blocks/index.html

or an Earth(ing) Block:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Earthing_Index/Earth_Blocks/index.html

or possibly something else - which is why we are asking for a photo of the installation.

There's no need to shout!

Nobody here can answer your question and the terminology is wrong.
BAS suggested a photo which would go a long way to help you.

Remember, you're asking for help and we're here to oblige so please be polite in future.

Out of interest, did your electrcian leave an Electrical Installation Certificate and tell you he was going to notify the work under Part P of the building regulations?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back