Consumer unit replacement - main fuse?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to get a quote for a consumer unit replacement (and potential inspection, depending on what the electrician says). House and all existing wiring and consumer unit is almost 30 years old, although a RCD circuit for the shower was added separately when the last owner lived there (cheepskate should have just replaced the lot!).

I've been reading a few threads on here but am confused about how the job will proceed when it comes to the matter of the Main Fuse. Do the DNO need to remove the main fuse (breaking the seal around it) in the electric meter box or can a suitably qualified electrician do this? Or is there another way to safely isolate the electricity to the house without the need for the DNO to intervene?

Sponsored Links
I expect they will just pull the fuse. No need for DNO as 'the seal was already broken'

Officially, the DNO need to come out and pull the fuse, then come out again later and refit.

Unofficially, the spark will probably just do it so long as the cutout doesnt look completely knackered and likely to disintegrate.

You may wish to install an isolator between the CU and meter, such that future maintenance can be performed without issue. You might also find, that if you ask, your supplier might fit an isolator for you, for a small fee.

It depends on the DNO.
My local is SSE and has an agreement with some of the "Part P" schemes re the removal of cut out seals and fuses.
The electrician has to carry special labels and temporary seals, and SSE reseal once the work is done.
See http://www.ssepd.co.uk/uploadedFile...ecificationAndForms/ProcedureOnTheRemoval.pdf

You need to find out if your DNO has a similar agreement with your registered electrician's Part P scheme?

Sponsored Links
You may wish to install an isolator between the CU and meter, such that future maintenance can be performed without issue. You might also find, that if you ask, your supplier might fit an isolator for you, for a small fee.

That's exactly what I'm going to do. Getting the DNO out can be expensive. I tried blagging a meter move for free as I think under the stairs is a bad location when you have young children throwing shoes and things in there. The cheapest I got the meter move and switch fuse down to was £300. That was to move it outside then I'd have to fit 5M + tails to a new, upgraded CU. I might just find a load of rats and give them a 3 course meal under my stairs and try and get the DNO out that way!

You need to find out if your DNO has a similar agreement with your registered electrician's Part P scheme?

You did well to find that on your DNO's website. I've been looking over Northern Powergrid's site but can only find a reference to a procedure for when the meter is changed and the electrician needs to break the seal. May have to give them a call.

However, i guess that the electrician would just break the seal, as (rightly or wrongly) I've never heard of anyone getting the DNO out for this.

Ask the electrician quoting for the job what procedure he thinks is appropriate.

I'm sure he has his own policy for this situation...

Ask the electrician quoting for the job what procedure he thinks is appropriate.

I'm sure he has his own policy for this situation...

Yes, not a bad idea. I was just thinking ahead, and if I can get a sparky who's authorised by the DNO (if that's even possible) then I'd rather get them out in the first place than waste someone else's time.

Out of interest, where's best to find a decent electrician? NAPIT/NICEIC? Are these any reassurance of quality? I presume you must hold a certain qualification to join? I know to avoid checkatrade and ratedpeople etc. I'm struggling to find recommendations off friends as most of them are either DIYers or use cheap cowboys. I've no problem paying a professional to do a professional job.

Its certainly a challenge.

We discussed this recently, and as i pointed out, most "recommendations" from joe public (ie friends or family) arent really worth much, unless the person doing the recommending has some technical knowledge so they can actually tell if a "proper job" was carried out, or if its a bodgefest that just looks pretty.

I think in the main you tell DNO there is no seal and no problem but wait for the DNO to find seal missing another story.

The HSE state that the supply must be isolated else where so any work in a consumer unit needs the supply removing so unless an isolator is provided then you must pull the fuse.

However my son wants his meters moving and he has fitted a meter box where he wants them to go and fitted a consumer unit where he wants it and re-wired the house from that with a 10mm cable from the old consumer unit to new consumer unit from B50 MCB until it is moved so he can ask DNO to move and everything is already in place so single visit.

What will be interesting is the cables going from his underground supply to the next door house which the DNO insist are not there. Seems some one years ago saved themselves the work of digging a trench to both houses and linked between the two with no way leaves in place. What to be fly on the wall when guys come to move supply.

It depends on the DNO.
My local is SSE and has an agreement with some of the "Part P" schemes re the removal of cut out seals and fuses.
The electrician has to carry special labels and temporary seals, and SSE reseal once the work is done.
See http://www.ssepd.co.uk/uploadedFile...ecificationAndForms/ProcedureOnTheRemoval.pdf

This is true but it's important to point out they the still don't allow the sparky to break the seal.

Just had a look at mine and its not a seal (as that appears torn when the digital meter was fitted). There's a ring of wire roud it that you'd need to cut to pull the fuse.

It depends on the DNO.
This is true but it's important to point out they the still don't allow the sparky to break the seal.
One of you must be wrong - you appear to be saying the opposite of what TTC wrote.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back