Consumer unit replacement - main fuse?

Sponsored Links
Para 3.1 clearly says

Members of the following trade associations only are permitted to remove meter seals for routine work……..

Permitted…remove…seals

done.

I thought it was only SSE who allowed this.

To the the best of my knowledge it is, in part I think because of the huge distances involved in the North of Scotland.
The procedure must have spread when Scottish Hydro amalgamated with Southern Electricity to form SSE

Para 3.1 clearly says

Members of the following trade associations only are permitted to remove meter seals for routine work……..

Permitted…remove…seals

done.

That what it says BUT when I reported that I had broken a seal and that they needed to replace it they had a hissy fit and told me I shouldn't have. They also told me that the customer needs to tell them.

Funny enough though now each CU I change has had a broken seal and I just stick my temp seal on and inform the customer to notify SSE.

Sponsored Links
I think that the SSE scheme is not a blanket relaxation, but only applies to specific trained members of the schemes who are issued with temporary seals by SSE.

Owing to our National Safety Rules, folk need specific individual written authorisation to work on our systems.

Probably not meant to say this but the reality is that most electricians, my self included will just break the seals and pull the cutout if it looks in good condition, or if it looks dodgy just disconnect / connect the tails in to the meter live.

Out of interest, where's best to find a decent electrician? NAPIT/NICEIC?
The best method is by knowing one or by knowing someone who knows one and can testify or their quality of work, if this is not an option then you can input your location on this link and pick three out for quotes.
http://www.competentperson.co.uk/
Are these any reassurance of quality?
There are more companies than Napit/NICEIC that register competent electricians and choosing one blindly does not guarantee quality of work, indeed there will be many electricians that do not hold a scheme membership that are capable of a high standard of work, but by using a non-registered electrician you would then need to go down the route of pre-work notification to building controls.
So as I said word of mouth is the best why to find a decent one!
I presume you must hold a certain qualification to join?
Different scheme providers ask for different qualifications, but in general the one qualification that is required is the 17th edition of the wiring regulations but some will insist that you either have or are going to attain the 2391 or it's current equivalent.
I know to avoid checkatrade and ratedpeople etc.
Like the plague
I'm struggling to find recommendations off friends as most of them are either DIYers or use cheap cowboys. I've no problem paying a professional to do a professional job.
In that case use the link post earlier in post, get three different quotes and ask for proof of quality and testimonies from their customers, also have a contract drawn up when you choose one.

Thanks, good advice.

I presume I need to ask for a EIC upon completion of the work and ensure that the installer notifies local building control? Is the certificate issued on the day the work is done or do you have to wait? If you have to wait, is it normal practice not to pay up until you get the EIC? I cant see the installer being OK with that?!

Make sure that certification and notification are stated on the schedule of works.

I'd keep a retainer until you get everything that has been contracted for.

Paperwork takes time. A cert shouldnt take more than a week to do, but usually its an hour infront of the computer - its SIX pages long.
Notification can take up to 4 weeks.

Schedule of works? I phoned one guy and he gave me a price over the phone! Seems strange to me as I thought they'd like to visit to give a proper quote.

Schedule of works? I phoned one guy and he gave me a price over the phone! Seems strange to me as I thought they'd like to visit to give a proper quote.
"Avoiding him like the plague" is a phrase which comes to mind!

Kind Regards, John

Chenging the CU is a heart/lung transplant for your electrics.

I would want a proper agreement and a list of exactly he/she would provide.

Also, a proper electrician will want an hour or three testing the existing installation before chopping all the arteries and veins ;)

Guess I'm not a proper electrician then!

A 5 minute glance usually suffices for me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back