Main fuse / consumer unit query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if I get any terminology wrong - I'm not an expert on these things (hence why I'm here!) - but I need some advice regarding who is allowed to do work to the various parts of the incoming electricity supply.

We have just bought a house and it looks like the consumer unit/fuse board has been moved from near the front door (where the main fuse still is) to the cupboard under the stairs. It doesn't appear to have been done to a very high standard, and it's been suggested that the wires between the two are too long.

We made an initial enquiry to the electricity board (E astern Electric)and they said that only they are allowed to do work on everything from the main fuse outwards (to the street), and only the electricity supplier (Southern Electric) are allowed to do work on the section between the main fuse and the consumer unit.

Is that true, or can a qualified electrician do work on the section between the main fuse and consumer unit?

Sponsored Links
can a qualified electrician do work on the section between the main fuse and consumer unit?
Not only a qualified electrician can perform work between main fuse and CU but also and unqualified electrician or a bloke walking his dog that was just passing for a cup of tea.
Not saying that it is right that the bloke walking his dog should be messing with your electrics but they will be allowed to carry some work out.

Thanks for your response. From research I've done I'm inclined to agree with you.

But electricity supplier have also now said that only they are allowed to touch it. Why would electricity board and supplier (Eastern Electric and Southern Electric) tell me this if it's not true?

Sponsored Links
The DNO and the electricity supplier are telling you what is the correct legal position
(and there are a lot of threads on here discussing this)

Electricians and others do however, for various reasons, pull the main fuse to carryout work in this area - they do this WITHOUT permission and at risk to themselves and their customer

One more time
(Note: - Distribution Network Operator & Regional Electricity Company are the same thing and what most people recognise as what used to be the Electricity Board.
They "deliver" the electricity to premises using their wires and cables etc. that form the network)
(Supplier, these are the ones you pay the bill to, they then pay the REC's for the use of the network)

In most premises

Main fuse and incomming cable, belong to REC and can only be worked on by persons specifically authorised to do so by the REC

Tails from the main fuse to the meter as the main fuse

Meter belongs to supplier can be worked on by their and REC staff

Tails to consumer unit, belong to customer but need supplier or REC staff to make connection to the meter.
Supplier.REC staff will NOT work on connections at the consumer unit end!

Tails to consumer unit, belong to customer but need supplier or REC staff to make connection to the meter.
Supplier.REC staff will NOT work on connections at the consumer unit end!

Thanks for your explanation.

So if consumer unit and tails are being moved and/or modified (e.g. adding isolator) this can be done by any one as long as the connections to the meter are not touched?

So if consumer unit and tails are being moved and/or modified (e.g. adding isolator) this can be done by any one as long as the connections to the meter are not touched

In theory yes, but as they would be live (see comment about main fuse) the person doing the work would be in breech of the Electricity at Work Regs as live working is not permitted in that situation

So if consumer unit and tails are being moved and/or modified (e.g. adding isolator) this can be done by any one as long as the connections to the meter are not touched?

YES ....by anyone..... Except the tails would be live and so the person would need to know exactly what they were doing, and have the right tools and have protective gear to protect themselve from the arc when the live and neutral short out with a 100 amp slow blow fuse as the only protection. Having someone who is trained and experienced in first aid for electrocution close by would be a good idea.

In theory yes, but as they would be live (see comment about main fuse) the person doing the work would be in breech of the Electricity at Work Regs as live working is not permitted in that situation
Unless the DNO had been contacted and they had drawn the main fuse for you. Then anyone can connect the tails to the CU.

I'll make sure a medically trained person is present.

ooh matron

if the meter is still by the door, then it's probably ok.

pics would help

what the wire distance between the door and CU and has a switch fuse been fitted ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back