Icon 23T luke warm water only... help please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i have just moved into a house that has a 5 year old Icon 23T boiler that hadn't been used in ages. The boiler was working fine for both water and heating for the first 48 hours until i noticed a leak. I thought the leak was simply coming from the cold input joint underneath but after running the boiler it seemed to get worse, then i found it dead :unsure:

After checking it over i found water had run down through a perished seal on the gas pipe that runs through the tray that covers all the electronics and pipework underneath. The water had dripped into the main control panel and fried the main PCB, i found a blown fuse and resistor.

After messing about for ages evaluating all this and finding the correct resistor i successfully managed to swap it but everytime you go to ignition the 2A fuse would blow on the PCB. After more investigation i found the exhaust fan was also blown and this was causing the 2A to pop.

I have now changed the exhaust fan and when you open a hot water tap the fan spins up and it ignites but after 30 seconds only warm water comes out of the tap, then seems to go colder. Additionally and importantly i expect, when you turn up the temperature of the hot water the gas seems to splutter.

I have broken the timer clock investigating so can't test the heating until i find a new one but to have hot water would be like heaven as you can imagine after two weeks of trying to get this thing working.

I appreciate i need professional help but i can't afford it!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Sorry to say, it seems you have done enough damage to this boiler. Not sure there is much that can be done on an advice forum.

You might just have to find a way to afford a professional.

Does this house belong to you?

Yes it does, my first house and mortgaged up to the hilt, otherwise i would have contacted the landlord, how much rent i've paid over the years i hate to think and typically never had a boiler problem!!!

Sponsored Links
Sorry to say, it seems you have done enough damage to this boiler. Not sure there is much that can be done on an advice forum.

You might just have to find a way to afford a professional.

With respect to you, i think i have done amazingly well to get it partially working.

Anybody with a constructive comment please?

Most people would say that you need a new boiler.

Had you called a pofessional in the beginning then it would probably all be working now and with less cost paid!

Tony

Most people would say that you need a new boiler.

Had you called a pofessional in the beginning then it would probably all be working now and with less cost paid!

Tony

I very much doubt it but thank you for your trolling.

Not the attitude to give two professionals.

Your plight is not unusual, nor special. I too was not without issues when I bought my first house. But preparation is key. Perhaps a salutary lesson here has been learnt for your next house.

Don't over stretch yourself, and check things out before signing.

I very much doubt it but thank you for your trolling.

Abrasive though Tony's posts can be, he is speaking the truth. If you doubt what he says, then why are you in such a pickle?

Answer? Your doubt is not backed up by a credible knowledge.

But hey! what do I know?... I only fix and install boilers for a living.

Dear Dan,

Thank you also for your trollish post and although only mildly amused by your and Tony’s lack of professional prowess, I feel compelled to reply and explain my thoughts to you as you have done so to me and anybody else that cares to waste a few more seconds of their lives doing so.

Firstly, you regard yourself as a professional, however, having come to this forum politely asking for advice I have been confronted by two arrogant and condescending individuals, one claiming to be a professional and stating the other is likewise but professional at what remains a mystery as neither of you have been able to give any advice excepting the mandatory “you need a professional” statement that I was hoping not to receive.

Not knowing who I am you have moved forward and decided to make assumptions about my ability when again you have been unable to intelligently offer any advice. Therefore, as we are now making personal assumptions I will make one of my own about you. I suggest that you sir, are the type of engineer (if you are indeed one at all) that arrives at the customer’s premises with pound signs glinting in your eyes, proceed by swapping some of the few components that can actually fail in the boiler system without having first tried to repair them as they are beyond your level of capability, then upon failure recommend a new boiler installation, probably again to exaggerate your already exaggerated charges to upgrade further your lavish apartment in the Costa del somewhere or other... I make these comments and assumptions about you in an unprofessional manner as that is how you have treated me.

Finally, and to conclude, if the moderators of this forum would be kind enough to leave this thread (although I entirely understand if they want to delete it as you and your associate Tony have trolled it to pieces), upon finding the resolution to the problem with my Icon 23T I will update this post with relevant information so that future owners of such a boiler may learn something and understand that boilers are not space ships but just another system in the home that can be mended by a DIY enthusiast.

Yours faithfully,

ynotdave

P.S. I very much doubt you are either awesome or attractive, but I expect you still charge!

Dear Dan,

Firstly, you regard yourself as a professional, however, having come to this forum politely asking for advice I have been confronted by two arrogant and condescending individuals, one claiming to be a professional and stating the other is likewise but professional at what remains a mystery as neither of you have been able to give any advice excepting the mandatory “you need a professional” statement that I was hoping not to receive.

Yours faithfully,

ynotdave

Firstly you seem to think that its quite fair that you cannot organise your life sufficiently to buy a house and have enough money available to make it habitable.

You then set about trying to fix it yourself although you obviously dont have sufficient skills to do that properly and you end up damaging it further.

Secondly, you manage to be rude towards two professionals who DO have the skills to work on boilers and whom you expect to give you their free advice!

Perhaps you should apply to a charity? [email protected]

Agile said:
Firstly you seem to think that its quite fair that you cannot organise your life sufficiently to buy a house and have enough money available to make it habitable.

You then set about trying to fix it yourself although you obviously dont have sufficient skills to do that properly and you end up damaging it further.

Secondly, you manage to be rude towards two professionals who DO have the skills to work on boilers and whom you expect to give you their free advice!

Perhaps you should apply to a charity? [email protected]

You keep out of this Tony, you've already proven you don't have the intellect to comment on this thread. Thank you.

Dear Dan,

comments and assumptions about you in an unprofessional manner as that is how you have treated me.

Yours faithfully,

ynotdave

P.S. I very much doubt you are either awesome or attractive, but I expect you still charge!

I dont know what constitutes attractiveness in a man.

But many would say that Dan, standing at 6' 7", is rather awesome!

I also expect all professionals to charge for their services. In fact many would say that is what differentiates a professional from a DIYer!

Tony

My sig is a quote from Kung Fu Panda - a film I enjoy with my 3 year old. It was supposed to be somewhat ironic/ tongue in cheek - as it is in the film. I am 6' 7", and my picture is in my profile, along with numerous examples of my work.

I'll leave final judgement to others.

As for trolling... If that is what you consider our opening posts, then so be it. But we are not the ones wihtout heating and hot water; and from the sounds of it, you managed to make matters worse yourself.

We can only go by the information provided and yours was not the greatest, and seemed to be a list of what you did to make matters worse.

As I said, it is unfortunate that you are skint and in that respect I sympathise...

I think if you read Tony's post carefully you will see it wasn't trolling in anyway. Merely stating a truth you didn't want to read.

Hardly our fault.

Some of the others might post up some possible solutions. But like I said, it sounds like you have done nothing more than to goose a leaking boiler more than it needed. Enthusiastically at that.

Loved your rant by the way. Utter twaddle though it was, it made amusing reading.

You are free to enjoy the photo's on my website and in my profile. And imagine all the lovely hot water emanating form the systems I install and maintain - enthusiastically I might add ;).

Water on PCB has probably blow a few components within the boiler i.e the fan and possibly the gas valve or air pressure switch etc.(pandora's box) the gas valve might now be faulty too, or the regulator on gas meter is knackered and can't supply enough gas, heating might work okay! Fan may not be working correctly lack of air or excess air, it sounds like its baffling out, a boiler I went to was doing this, was the burner seal!

With respect to you, i think i have done amazingly well to get it partially working.
After reading:
...when you open a hot water tap the fan spins up and it ignites but after 30 seconds only warm water comes out of the tap, then seems to go colder. Additionally and importantly i expect, when you turn up the temperature of the hot water the gas seems to splutter.

I have broken the timer clock investigating so can't test the heating until i find a new one but to have hot water would be like heaven as you can imagine after two weeks of trying to get this thing working.
I really wonder what it would take before you admit you botched the project.
It would be an idea to get a pro in to make sure things are safe again. Surely there are some items along the lines of booze, fags, cable etc. or maybe even sacrificing a holiday that could be ditched in favour of keeping your family safe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back