IKON 23T no heating and hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We always had problems with our Ikon (Icon) 23T boiler regarding hot water (low pressure, lukewarm water etc). We descaled the boiler 3 years ago and 18 months ago we had the diverter diaphragm replaced which was all crumbled up and we had plenty of hot water after that. 2 days ago we realised that the hot water was working only in winter mode and only when the heating was on so we called a corgi registered plumber to fix it. He replaced the diverter diaphragm which he said costs £90 but then the boiler refused to ignite so we lost both hot water and heating. He left us this afternoon without fixing it and said he will be back tomorrow with the electrods for the ignition and a new pcb board just in case we need to replace it. He charges £100 for the callout, £90 for the diaphragm which I later found on ebay for £8 and £68 plus VAT for the pcb board, plus the wires, electrods and labour.

Two questions: Why the boiler refused to ignite after the diaphragm was replaced. It got a spark but wasn't big enough to ignite.

Do the charges seem normal to you?

I know Ikons are not great but we never had a problem with the heating and it was working just fine before the plumber came in the picture.

Please help!!! :cry: Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
He is not called Cowboy Plumber in Berkshire is he?

That sounds very cheap for the PCB.

If it sparks and does not ignite then it sounds as if the gas valve is not being powered. Or the gas supply tap underneath has been left turned off.

Perhaps you could open it and see if the plug on the gas valve has been knocked off? Only try that if you turn off the power and feel competent to check it.

Tony

He is not called Cowboy Plumber in Berkshire is he?

That sounds very cheap for the PCB.

If it sparks and does not ignite then it sounds as if the gas valve is not being powered. Or the gas supply tap underneath has been left turned off.

Perhaps you could open it and see if the plug on the gas valve has been knocked off? Only try that if you turn off the power and feel competent to check it.

Tony

Thank you for the reply Tony.
I told him whether it's the gas valve and he said 'no'. I already did a google search when he was still here trying to find a possible solution and told him about the air pressure switch, the gas valve and the safety lock and he said that it's def the ingition. I don't know whether he's a cowboy or not (laughed with the comment though...thanks) but he is an old guy with lots of experience who has never worked on an ikon before. I literally had done a lot of research online and can't find why the damn ignition won't fire up. And the irony is that it was working just fine before I called him in! I don't even think about replacing it at present because I don't see up living here in the future. I will try and have a go myself to see the gas valve as per your directions but will wait for husband first (not that he know mire than I do but hey!) Thanks again.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back