Icos 24HE- Heat Exchanger in situ "flush"- Proposed process- Advice wanted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.
I have the above condensing boiler-which makes a very loud banging/kettling noise initially on start up for 10 minutes or so.. then seem to settle- quiet.. and then periodically the noise returns without there being a regular pattern to the noise that I can identify, but it is quite disturbing. I've introduced a number of Fernox and Sentinel "cleaning" products into the system. I've also mains flushed the system and I thought initially it had improved, but the noise has returned albeit perhaps marginally better?
The noise/banging/popping reverberates throughout the central heating system but is definitely sourced to the boiler.
I am of the view that the root cause for the noise is that the heat exchanger is calcified.
I was pondering the below process and would welcome your views.
I plan to :
1-Drain the central heating system down.
2- (see Picture) Directly above the boiler break into the 22mm feed and return pipes- I fitted a Fernox T1 Filter to the return pipe and so can use that as point of access, and on the feed side break in below the drain off point.
3-Using a submersible pump introduce on a flow and return basis via the 22mm pipe(stepped down to 15mm and standard hosepipes) a chemical agent such that it circulates directly through the boiler/heat exchanger- and allow to flow through the boiler/heat exchanger on a continual basis for x period of time
Questions
*Does this proposal make sense- am I on a reasonable logic path? Are here any obvious challenges?
*What agent could I use: Fernox DS3, Fernox DS40, White Vinegar, On You tube videos where the exchanger has been removed I've seen 'One Shot' drain cleaner and 'Liquid Power House Spirits of Salts'(But these are highly corrosive as I understand and Id sooner not)
* What pump could I use, a low flow rate ie just to circulate the agent/solution or something of a higher pressure to force out the calcification.
* Would a system power flush deliver the same benefit?

I am a reasonably competent DIY'er but clearly do not want to compromise any gas or boiler safety regulations, but given I am only tending to the water side believe that I am not in breach of?

Thanks for any thoughts you may have.

Attachments

• 20181204_081922.jpg
    20181204_081922.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back