ICOS boiler is making loud noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am wondering if anyone came across the following issue with ICOS boiler. Suddenly, it has started making loud noises - first every half an hour, then every 10 minutes and then it stopped working altogether with an FL or LF failure code on the display. If I reset it, it makes the noise again, but fails to start.

I called the plumber. When he came and switched the boiler on after 12-18 hour break, the boiler made these sounds once but then kicked into life. Plumber spent three hours and charged 180 pounds (though I am not sure he actually understood what was the problem - a fan was mentioned, but he did not want to replace it just in case), but three days down the line we are back where started.

Could you tell me what may be the problem with the boiler from the sounds that it makes?
I don't really have money to "burn" and I am not confident that the problem will be addressed without outside expertise.

Please see below:

Sponsored Links
Get a decent GasSafe engineer out (and ask him to check the condensate sump & drain)

While there, remove the burner and carry out service as per the manual
Might be an idea to clear the sump too
He/ she needs to know his/ her chips about this boiler to get it working.

Wish I had customers like yourself who will pay me for not getting results

Thanks guys

Apparently he is gas-safe certified. He told me he checked the condensate drain and he left the boiler working ...

I managed to start the boiler this morning after it was off overnight.

It made one of these sounds briefly and then fired up. Thus the pattern repeats itself. Boiler starts only after a long break. Is this a proof of the issue with condensate drain?

Will have to call him again.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys

Apparently he is gas-safe certified. He told me he checked the condensate drain and he left the boiler working ...

I managed to start the boiler this morning after it was off overnight.

It made one of these sounds briefly and then fired up. Thus the pattern repeats itself. Boiler starts only after a long break. Is this a proof of the issue with condensate drain?

Will have to call him again.

If condensate is slow to clear the boiler, condensate will have discharged over a long period of non use. Fire the boiler up, condensate is a byproduct that needs to discharge from the boiler. If it does not, water will back up into the heat exchanger.

Checking the condensate is a good point but target for this would have been boiler parts that condensate discharges through.

Other components also need attention on this boiler same as they do on any other boiler

Gas Safe registration does not mean the technician has sound knowledge of appliance , reason for which we have access to makers technical helpdesk. Gas Safe is essentially proof of safe handling and procedures pertaining to gas, not proof of sound mechanical, electrical, hydraulic etc knowhow that is required to effect repairs on boilers

Think you would be better calling someone who knows what they are doing, what did he spend 3 hours doing ?

Thanks once again!

With your advice I pointed the plumber in the right direction. It turns out that there was a problem with condensate draining off, but apparently further down the line, where he did not look first time.

The boiler is fixed now and it did not cost me anything extra. However, I do share your view on expertise/problem-solving skills.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back