ID Screw please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a 70's house, the walls are solid but the internal block work is terrible. I've struggled getting decent fixings into the walls due to the walls being very crumbly.

I had some of these screws supplied with Fischer UX 8 plugs for a piece of furniture to be installed. These screws & plugs gave such a strong fixing every time. I'd love to be able to buy these screws from somewhere, however I've tried the usual suspects and can't find anything similar. Can any ID what type of screw this is and where to buy? I've been able to buy the plugs so it's just the screws I need.

Attachments

• IMG-0429.jpg
    IMG-0429.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG-0430.jpg
    IMG-0430.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 186
Sponsored Links
It's a pan-headed screw, I don't know what's special about it. Its shape resembles a self-tapping screw.

selftapping.jpg

s-l1600.jpg
BTW if you have crumbly walls, here is how to get a good fixing with plasplugs:

Drill a hole in the wall long enough and deep enough to accept your plug and screw. They must penetrate into the brick or block enough to bear the weight. Disregard the thickness of plaster which has no strength. I usually work on 25mm of brick.

Clean out dust and fragments from the hole with a vac or water jet (and allow to dry)

Inject builder's adhesive of the no-more-nails type (cheap own brand will do) into the hole, starting at the back so there is no air bubble at the end of the hole

Press your plasplug into the hole so it pushes into the adhesive and is fully encased. Press it slightly below the plaster surface which will reduce risk of cracking. You can insert a screw a couple of turns into the plug to use as a handle. clean off excess adhesive.

leave it overnight for the adhesive to set, before driving home your screw. Since the plug is surrounded, it will transmit the expansive force evenly into the wall. It will not spin or come loose.

Last edited:
Use Fischer duopower with standard woodscrews of correct length ,aka at least 1/2 inch protruding end of plug.

Sponsored Links
Might be slightly away from the mainstream, but what I do is drill my hole and get some regular plumber solder and shove it in the hole so it fills it to just below the surface. Then all I do is screw the screw in. If its slightly too loose I put two lengths of solder in. You would be amazed how tight you can do the screws up especially with two lengths of solder in the hole. I've hung radiators/TV's and a heavy coat rack all using this method.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back